This simple flatbread recipe is speckled with fresh summer fruit, herbs, cheese, and a balsamic glaze. It’s so easy to make and loaded with flavor. Serve it as an appetizer at your next casual brunch or luncheon!
We enjoy this with a cool glass of Strawberry Sweet Tea!
We go through strawberries like nobody’s business. I tried my hand at growing them once, but alas, I just don’t have a green thumb. So I buy them all year round, and in excessive amounts when they’re in season. They’re so fresh, bright, and naturally sweet and perfectly suited in desserts, but also in savory dishes.
They worked incredibly well in this flatbread recipe, paired with tangy goat cheese, fresh aromatic basil, and sticky-sweet balsamic syrup. I could eat this every day!
Flatbread Recipe Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Flatbread: We use our wonderful homemade naan and just forgo basting the garlic-herb butter at the end. Store-bought plain naan works, too!
- Olive oil: This gets lightly brushed on the naan before baking.
- Strawberries: Buy the freshest, strawberries you can find that are a gorgeous red without any blemishes.
- Goat cheese: Goat cheese and strawberries are a match made in Heaven!
- Balsamic vinegar: This gets reduced down into a sweet syrup and drizzled over the flatbread. So good!
- Basil: Fresh basil leaves are cut or torn and sprinkled on top.
Flatbread Recipe Variations
- Change the fruit: Feel free to swap the strawberries with nectarines, blackberries, or raspberries.
- Use feta cheese: If you don’t like goat cheese, feta cheese works great here, too.
- Try it with mint: Instead of basil, sprinkle on some fresh, torn mint leaves.
Balsamic Vinegar vs. Balsamic Glaze
Balsamic vinegar is made from grapes with intense flavor. Balsamic glaze is made from balsamic vinegar, by reducing it down over heat until it turns sweet with a syrup-like consistency, much like honey and maple syrup. It’s great on salad, drizzled over fruit bruschetta or caprese skewers, and perfect on this flatbread. We make our own (it’s super easy!), but you can also buy it.
This can be served as a light lunch or cut up into wedges (or squares) and served as an appetizer. Enjoy it warm or room temperature. It’s a lovely addition to a Sunday brunch!
Other Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Luscious Strawberry Smoothie
- Easy Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Scones
- Strawberry Butter
Other Flatbread Recipes
Strawberry Balsamic Flatbread
- 2 Naan bread (our homemade recipe without the garlic butter, or store bought is fine)
- olive oil , for brushing
- 4 large ripe strawberries , stems removed, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 large basil leaves , cut chiffonade style or torn
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place Naan on a baking sheet and lightly brush a little olive oil on them. Distribute the strawberries on top, followed by the goat cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until just golden.
- While the Naan is baking, pour the balsamic vinegar in a small pot. Over medium-high heat, simmer and reduce until a syrup forms (about 2-3 minutes) – watch it carefully or it will harden or burn. (Or you can buy balsamic glaze.)
- Drizzle some of the balsamic syrup over the Naan and sprinkle with the basil.
- Cut into wedges or squares and serve warm.
- (NOTE: see article for substitutions.)