This Easy Homemade Lemon Curd is sweet, tart, fantastic, and ready in 15 minutes! Use it as a spread or topping for your baked goods and desserts.
Years ago when we were trying to sell our house in Minnesota, I used to keep a bowl of lemons out on the table. The color, the smell… I swear, I think they sold the house for us.
Have a ton of apples? Make applesauce. Have a ton of lemons? Make lemon curd!
I make this lemon curd recipe all the time. It’s so easy and can be used in so many things.
What is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is a bright and velvety dessert topping or spread that has a sweet and tart lemon flavor. It’s sold at a lot of stores now, usually found near the jams and nut butters, but homemade is so much better and incredibly easy to make with only a few simple ingredients.
Lemon Curd Recipe
A lot of recipes call for making this fruit curd on the stove, which requires a double boiler and straining through a sieve, but I make it in the microwave and it’s so much easier. (Scroll down for the detailed printable recipe card.)
Ingredients needed: sugar, eggs, lemon juice and zest, and melted unsalted butter.
How to make lemon curd: all the ingredients are whisked together and cooked in the microwave for 5 minutes, whisking well after each minute. It’s that easy!
Recipe Notes: DO NOT let the mixture come to a boil or the eggs will curdle. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
Great uses for lemon curd
- stirred into yogurt
- on top of pancakes or crepes
- spread on blueberry scones
- mixed into pound cake
- dolloped on top of angel food cake
- drizzled over ice cream
- …or my favorite way – right off the spoon, directly into your mouth.
How to Store Lemon Curd
Once it’s done cooking, remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars. The curd will thicken the more it cools.
How long does lemon curd last? Store for up to 3 weeks in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze lemon curd? Yes! It freezes very well. Allow lemon curd to cool completely before freezing. Divide mixture into small clean jars with a lid, leaving at least a 1/2-inch gap for expansion. Freeze up to 1 year. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and use within 3 weeks.
Tart. Sweet. Smooth. Marvelous. Forever housed in my happy place. Along with Rachel.
Recipes we love using lemon curd!
Easy Lemon Curd
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- Zest from 3 lemons
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted and cooled slightly
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter.
- Cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, whisking well after each minute (toward the end, whisk every 15-30 seconds.) DO NOT let the mixture come to a boil or the eggs will curdle. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from the microwave, and pour into small sterile jars (the curd will thicken the more it cools.)