Toasted bagel is topped with an herbed cottage cheese, heirloom tomatoes, and Parmesan for a perfectly light and healthy breakfast or mid-morning snack.
Herb Cottage Cheese Tomato Sandwich
Have you heard that cottage cheese is making a comeback? I didn’t know it ever went away. But I love cottage cheese – always have. Doritos or corn chips dipped in cottage cheese is the best snack – try it!
If you’re looking for new delicious ways to utilize cottage cheese, this little number is a good one. Perfect for a light morning breakfast or afternoon snack.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this half sandwich.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Cottage cheese – You can use full fat or reduced fat.
- Seasonings – Dried Italian herbs and garlic powder flavor the cottage cheese.
- Heirloom tomatoes – Ripe seasonal Heirloom tomatoes have the best flavor and provide wonderful color contrast.
- Red onion – We LOVE a little thinly sliced red onion on top of the tomatoes.
- Scallion – Provides a subtle onion peppery flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – Sprinkled on top for flavor.
- Black pepper – A few turns of freshly cracked black pepper finish off the sandwich.
- Bagel thins – Plain or “everything” bagel thins, split
- Don’t like cottage cheese? Use whipped cream cheese instead.
- Use regular beefsteak tomatoes. When Heirloom tomatoes aren’t in season, regular tomatoes are a perfectly fine, too!
How to Make It
This half sandwich couldn’t be easier to make. Simply combine combine the cottage cheese, herbs, and garlic powder. Toast bagels; spread cottage cheese mixture over each half. Layer with tomato and onion. Sprinkle scallions and Parmesan on top and a few grinds of black pepper.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas:
- Air Fryer Breakfast Pizza
- Hash Brown Avocado Toast
- Just Crack An Egg
- Bagel Egg Boats
- Hash Brown Egg Casserole
Open-Faced Heirloom Tomato Sandwich
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 small heirloom tomatoes , sliced
- 2 plain or “everything” bagel thins , split
- 1/4 cup red onion , sliced thin
- 1 scallion , finely diced
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, herbs, and garlic powder.
- Toast bagels; spread cottage cheese mixture over each half. Layer with tomato and onion. Sprinkle scallions and Parmesan on top and a few grinds of black pepper.