This delicious Spinach Casserole recipe with feta cheese will be a winner with even the pickiest eaters. Gluten free, low carb, and vegetarian, making it a great breakfast, brunch, side dish, or main if you need to accommodate special diets. And it’s so easy to make!
Check out our other casserole recipes to find more like this one!
Have you ever made Spanakopita? It’s a Greek classic, featuring spinach, feta cheese, herbs, and butter, stuffed into flaky phyllo shells. This Spinach Casserole is very similar, except made with cottage cheese and without the pastry. It’s great served for breakfast, brunch, as a side, or a perfect vegetarian main dish if you need something meatless.
Spinach Casserole Ingredients
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this casserole.
- Frozen chopped spinach
- Cottage cheese
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Sweet onion
- Large eggs
- Black pepper, garlic powder, and nutmeg
How to Make Spinach Casserole
With just one bowl, it seriously could not be easier to make this Spinach Casserole Recipe. (Scroll down for the detailed printable.)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Bake until set and enjoy.
- Fresh spinach can be used instead of frozen, keeping in mind 1 1/2 cups of cooked fresh spinach is roughly the equivalent of a 10 ounce frozen package.
- You can swap out the cottage cheese with ricotta, if you prefer.
- If you’ve got the time, sautéing the onions before adding them to the mix, will add more flavor.
- Add in a couple tablespoons of flour or breadcrumbs, as an additional binder which will help it be more solid when cutting.
- Stir in a 1/4 teaspoon of dried dill for added flavor.
Get the moisture out
Assembled ahead of time: You can assemble this casserole up to 1 day ahead and store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature and then bake.
To store leftovers, cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days.
Can you freeze spinach casserole? I do not recommend freezing this casserole, since the spinach mixture tends to be watery once thawed.
Other Spinach Dishes
Friends who are not fond of spinach love this dish and always ask for the recipe. It goes well with any meat or fish and is hearty and satisfying!
- 3 large eggs , beaten
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach , thawed and very well drained
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1 1/2- quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and then transfer to the greased dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 40-45 minutes or until the center is nearly set.
- Serve and enjoy!