Butter, onions, and beef consommé completely transform white rice into something flavorful and creamy, in this fast and simple Easy Rice Pilaf Recipe.
Rice Pilaf? No fudge, sugar cookies, or gingerbread?? What about a recipe for prime rib or apple cider? No eggnog?
Nope. Rice. My absolute favorite rice.
I know it’s the holidays and everyone is talking about chocolate bark and ham. And so are we, trust me. But December has me feeling very nostalgic, filled with great memories of my youth. My grandparents would come up, we would search for the Matzo, and eat gelt…and get presents from Santa. (What? I know. It sounds so strange now, but growing up like that, it seemed normal. Well, maybe not normal…)
…and my mom would make this rice pilaf recipe. It always accompanied a delicious roast and broccoli. If I had to pick my last meal on earth, it would be that one.
I have no idea if she found this recipe in a magazine or just came up with it on her own. But it is genius. And so simple.
What makes this rice pilaf so amazing
- Onions are sauteed in butter and olive oil.
- The onions get almost caramelized, which adds extra flavor.
- In addition to water, beef consommé is added, which makes this so rich and delicious.
- White rice is transformed into something so creamy and yummy!
I hadn’t made it in eons, but then November rolled around and I got an uncontrollable hankering that had to be resolved stat. I made it the next day. And then the following two days in a row. Each bite drowned out all the commotion around me.
So this rice holds a special place in my heart and belly, for sure. And every time I glance over at our 4-foot Christmas tree, adorned with blue and silver for Hanukkah, I think about my immediate blended family, and my extended family…and get a little weepy. Isn’t it funny how the holidays, and rice, can do that?
What to serve this Rice Pilaf with
P.S. I could (and often do) make an entire meal out of this Simple Spanish Rice, too!
How To Make this Rice Pilaf recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced small
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 10 ounce can beef consommé
- 2/3 cup water
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, saute onion in butter and olive oil for a couple of minutes.
- Mix in the rice; stir to coat.
- Add consomme´ and water. Mix, cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and slow simmer for about 20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Let stand for about 3 minutes. Fluff before serving.