This Pineapple Coconut Rice is a mild and light tropical side dish that pairs perfectly with steak, chicken, pork, and seafood. Great for summer or anytime of year using canned or fresh fruit.
My friend Alicia mentioned making pineapple coconut rice the other day. I immediately asked for the recipe and knew I’d be making it, too. I liked the short list of ingredients and the inclusion of sesame oil, which always draws me in.
Ingredients for Pineapple Coconut Rice
You only need a handful of simple ingredients!
- Jasmine rice
- Chicken broth
- Coconut milk
- Crushed pineapple
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Brown Sugar
The flavor was a lot less sweet than I was expecting. Quite mild, actually. I really enjoyed it!
I served it with some Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Thighs – the combination was outstanding and left overs the next day were perfect.
The only thing that would have made this better is if I’d actually been served it in Hawaii. HA.
When pineapple isn’t in season, you can easily use canned crushed pineapple, so you can make this anytime of year!
Other Rice side dishes we love!
Pineapple and Coconut Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup crushed pineapple , drained
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup diced scallions
- macadamia nuts, almonds, toasted coconut flakes
- Rinse the rice several times until the water runs clear. Drain the rice.
- In a medium pot, over high heat, add the rice, broth, and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover with tight fitting lid; let cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and without opening the lid, let it sit for another 10 minutes to finish steaming.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the pineapple, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and scallions.
- Top with any of the other recommended toppings. Drizzle a touch more soy sauce, if desired.