This Simple Spanish Rice is the perfect accompaniment to Mexican foods, chicken, steak, in burritos, or all by itself!
I absolutely love rice. Most grains, really. I grew up on them. My mom was always making stir-fry recipes, pilaf, or Spanish rice (although I think she made hers with tomato paste ??)
In fact, if a bowl of rice and a bowl of pasta were sitting in front of me and I could only choose one…I’d go for the rice. Oh, yes. I
can do make a meal out it, no problem.
So, it should come as no surprise that my rice cooker is one of my most beloved and used appliances. It was also my very first appliance ever owned! I got it as a gift 15 years ago. It’s a Zojirushi. I was sort of floored when they sent me a new one and was asked to work with them.
When it arrived, I jumped up and down and clapped my hands.
Paul: What did you get?
Me: A brand new Zojirushi rice cooker.
Paul: Oh wow. Are you ok? Do you want to sit down?
Paul: So, are you going to get rid of the old one?
Me: *death stare*
Paul: I guess that’s a no?
Me: I’ve had it for 15 years! And it still works perfectly! I can’t just get rid of it….
Paul: It’s not like it’s a pet bird.
Me: Hush. Now I’ll have two. And love them both.
I immediately made this Simple Spanish Rice and also my favorite rice pilaf.
Some people scoff at the idea of a rice cooker. Why don’t you just make the rice in a pot on the stove??? Grumble, grumble. Well, you certainly can! But my rice cooker cooks the grains perfectly and knows when to stop on its own. It knows the difference between white rice, brown rice, sushi rice, porridge, and whether I want the grains to have a softer or harder texture! Plus it has a “warm” setting. My rice maker is super smart, y’all. I use it even when I’m only cooking up two cups.
BUT, if you don’t have a rice cooker and don’t want one, that’s ok! You can definitely make this Spanish rice in a good ‘ol fashioned pot. Still easy and delicious.
This recipe is great with grilled chicken, steak, alongside refried beans, or all on its own! To make it more of a meal, add in some cooked ground beef or sausage. So good.
other Mexican inspired recipes we love!
How To Make This Spanish Rice recipe
Simple Spanish Rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced small
- 1 small red bell pepper , seeds and ribs removed, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 10 ounce can ROTEL (diced tomatoes with green chilies) , undrained
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high, heat the olive oil and butter until melted and bubbly. Add in the onions and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic, cumin, salt, and rice and cook for another minute, stirring constantly so the rice doesn’t burn.
- At this point, add the mixture to a rice cooker if you have one.** Add in the Rotel and chicken stock; stir to combine and set the cooker to “quick cooking.” When the timer goes off in about 20 minutes, fluff with a fork, serve, and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.
*this post contains affiliate links