These homemade Baked Chicken Taquitos rival anything you’ll buy at the store. Using shredded chicken, cream cheese, and flour tortillas, they’re super easy and flavorful. Plus they freeze beautifully so you can make extra and have a meal for later!
You know something is good when you make it once and it immediately goes in your permanent recipe binder…then you proceed to make it a million more times, validating your decision. Such is the case with these Chicken Taquitos!
Baked Chicken Taquitos
Seriously one of my favorite recipes. Here’s why:
- They’re great as an appetizer, but also as a meal served with some refried beans or salad. 12 is plenty for two adults and two kids.
- They’re super versatile. You can change up the type of cheese or salsa you use and have a different flavor every time.
- No utensils needed to eat these, means less stuff to clean up when you’re done. We love finger food!
- They freeze beautifully, so you can make a double (or triple!) batch to have on hand for a later time.
- Since they’re individual, you can bake up as many or as few as you like!
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Ingredients you need:
- Cream cheese – softened to room temperature
- Salsa – you can use red or green, mild or hot
- Lime juice – go with fresh!
- Garlic – a couple cloves, peeled and minced
- Fresh cilantro – you can also use parsley, if you prefer
- Scallions – I love the mild flavor and added color these bring
- Shredded cooked chicken breast – homemade roast chicken or use rotisserie
- Shredded Cheese – I like pepper jack for the added heat, but cheddar, monterey jack, or a blend works great!
- Seasonings – cumin, chili powder, onion powder, kosher salt
- 6-inch flour tortillas – I always use flour tortillas for these, but corn tortillas work, too. See my note below.
- cooking spray – this helps the tortillas get crispy as they bake
(Scroll down to the detailed printable recipe card for exact measurements.)
NOTE about using corn tortillas: You can substitute corn tortillas for the flour tortillas, but just make sure to buy the absolute best quality kind, use them fresh, and place in the microwave for a few seconds to make them pliable (only if necessary). Or make homemade corn tortillas! Since they’re typically smaller than the flour tortillas, you might need more of them. And they tend to cook up faster, so keep an eye on them in the oven.
How to Make Chicken Taquitos
These are so easy to make in a only a couple steps:
- Combine the filling ingredients: mix together the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, seasonings, garlic, cilantro, and scallions until well combine and creamy. Add in the cooked chicken and cheese; stir to thoroughly combine.
- Soften the tortillas: soften a few tortillas at a time in the microwave to make them pliable and soft enough to roll (about 10 seconds).
- Fill and roll the tortillas: spoon a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly.
- Place on baking sheet: place the rolled tortillas seam side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet, with space in between each one.
- Spray and season: spray the tortilla tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little kosher salt (don’t skip the salt!)
- Bake: bake until crisp and golden and cheese has melted.
(Scroll down to the detailed printable recipe card.)
Make Ahead and Storage
- You can prep the filling a day in advance and refrigerate until ready to make the taquitos.
- Can I freeze chicken taquitos? Yes! They freeze great. To freeze, prepare the taquitos through rolling them; place on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze until solid, then transfer to a labeled freezer bag (and store up to 2 months.) When ready to cook, transfer to a lined baking sheet (no need to thaw first), spray with the cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden.
Watch the video for Chicken Taquitos
What To Serve with Chicken Taquitos
You can’t go wrong serving Chicken Taquitos with sour cream, homemade Pico de Gallo, Chimichurri Sauce, or guacamole as an appetizer. If you’re looking to make them more of a meal, enjoy them with simple Spanish Rice.
Other Mexican Recipes
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup salsa (red or green)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 small scallions, diced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup pepperjack cheese
- 12 6-inch flour tortillas
- cooking spray
- kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic, cilantro, and scallions until well combine and creamy. Add in the cooked chicken and cheese; stir to thoroughly combine.
- Working with a few tortillas at a time, heat them in the microwave between two paper towels until they are soft enough to roll (about 10 seconds).
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly.
- Place the rolled tortilla seam side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the mixture is gone, making sure the taquitos are not touching each other.
- Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle with a little kosher salt (don’t skip the salt!)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.