This Chicken Taco Soup recipe is an easy meal made on the stovetop or in your crockpot using simple pantry staples! A bowl of this is not only delicious, but carries loads of nutrition too. Great for the chilly months or all year round.
Enjoy a bowl topped with your favorite taco fixins or with a slice of cheese bread.
Easy Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
We love a good, easy soup recipe! Bonus if it’s made with a bunch of items I always have on hand and packed with nutrition. This chicken taco soup recipe fits the bill. Why we love it:
- Only 5 minutes of prep.
- Makes use of pantry staples.
- Can be made in the crockpot or stovetop.
- Truly a set it and forget it recipe.
- Absolutely delicious.
- Leftovers reheat and freeze well.
With a mix of fresh and canned goods, this recipe incorporates simple pantry items so you can throw it together in minutes, any day of the week.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Chicken breasts: We use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe.
- Onion: For aromatics and flavor.
- Canned corn kernels: Either yellow or white corn, drained.
- Canned black beans: Rinsed and drained.
- Chicken broth: We use low-sodium to control the saltiness.
- Salsa: Either homemade salsa or store bought (16 ounce jar.) Use mild, medium, or hot depending on your preference.
- Enchilada sauce: Either our homemade enchilada sauce or store bought.
- Seasonings: Kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and taco seasoning.
- For serving: Tortilla chips, Mexican shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado.
- Try it with green salsa. Swap out the traditional red salsa with salsa verde for a different flavor.
- Use a different bean. If you don’t like black beans, you can use any other type of canned bean. We love Pinto beans and white navy beans.
- Make it with beef. You can brown up some lean ground beef and then add that in instead of the chicken. Or just try our Taco Soup recipe made with browned ground beef.
How To Make Chicken Taco Soup
This is one of the easiest soups to make. Simply combine all the ingredients in a slow cooker, making sure the chicken is completely submerged – cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until the chicken reaches 165F. Or add all the ingredients to a Dutch oven; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle bubble, cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, cooked through (165F), and easily pulls apart with two forks, about 30 minutes. To make this chicken taco soup recipe, scroll down to the complete printable recipe card for all the details, and don’t miss the video below.
What to Serve with Taco Soup
We like to top hot bowls of this soup with crushed up tortilla chips, Mexican shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and fresh sliced avocado. It’s also great with a side of cilantro lime rice or slice of cheese bread.
Video: Chicken Taco Soup
How to Store Taco Soup
- Storing leftovers: Cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Can you freeze taco soup? Yep! Transfer cooled soup to an airtight freezer-safe container, removing as much air as possible, and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More Soup Recipes:
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Chicken Taco Soup
- 1 small sweet onion , diced
- 8.75 ounce can corn kernels , drained
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce
- 16 ounce jar mild salsa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- tortilla chips, Mexican shredded cheese, sour cream, and avocado , optional, for serving
- Coat a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add in the onion, corn, black beans, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, salsa, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with the salt, pepper, and paprika. Add to the slow cooker and press down so the chicken is completely covered with liquid. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours (or until chicken reaches 165F.)
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks, then return it to the slow cooker and heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, shredded cheese, a few avocado slices, and broken up tortilla chips.For Stovetop directions, see notes below.