A cheater version of the classic, this Chili Relleno Casserole has layers of gooey cheese and peppers, with puffy clouds of baked eggs on top. So delicious. And crazy simple. Serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
Guys. It wasn’t until just a few days ago that I found out this wasn’t the “real” way to make Chili Relleno. I feel like my mother has been lying to me for 46 years.
She made Chili Relleno fairly often when I was growing up…or so I thought. But to my recollection, she made it more like this casserole. (I should have known better. My mother doesn’t fry anything.)
What is Authentic Chiles Rellenos?
Chiles rellenos is Spanish for “stuffed peppers” and are one of the most well known and loved Mexican foods. Poblano chiles are usually stuffed with only cheese (making them great for vegetarians), but can also include refried beans, pork, beef, or shredded chicken. All the combinations are delicious! They are then battered and fried, covered with salsa roja, which is a spicy red sauce. Um…amazing.
Is it chili or chile?
According to the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University, the spelling of the word ‘chile’ has a long and varied history. Chile comes from the term chilli that comes from the Aztec, Nahuatl language. According to Jean Andrews the Spanish spelling was later changed to chile by Spanish-speaking Mexicans and chili in the United States. So basically, in my opinion, they’re both ok. It just depends on the region.
It’s been at least 10 years since I had this casserole, and I got a hankering for it last week. Layers of gooey cheese and peppers, with puffy clouds of baked eggs on top. So delicious. And crazy simple. Serve it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
If you love this, you might also love my Chile Relleno Dip! It incorporates pork chorizo and served warm out of a skillet. It’s so good. Great for game day.
If you want the real thing though, check out my Step by Step Guide and Video for Authentic Chile Rellenos! More labor intensive, but it’s amazing.
Watch the video of chili relleno casserole!
Chili Relleno Casserole
- 5 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cans (7 ounce) whole green chilies, drained
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese , divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- salsa and sour cream , for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper, until thoroughly combined.
- Open up each chili and clean out any seeds; place half of them on the bottom of the baking dish, laying them flat. Sprinkle 1 cup of the jack cheese and 1/2 cup of the cheddar on top. Repeat layers once. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes until puffed up in the center and golden around the edges.
- Let stand and cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting. Slice into squares and serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!