This oven baked chicken breast recipe is coated in a simple, but flavorful seasoning mixture, cooked to tender and moist perfection in less than 20 minutes! It’s a foolproof, delicious weeknight dinner go-to that will never let you down.
This chicken recipe is one of my standard go-to’s. Paired with a side vegetable and rice, you have a super easy meal on the table in less than 30 minutes!
We’re big fans of chicken thighs, but more often than not, you’ll find chicken breasts in my shopping cart and freezer. They are a standard in my cooking, but they never disappoint thanks to this simple recipe that is a constant lifesaver when I’m struggling with dinner choices.
Baked Chicken Breast Recipe
* Be sure to see the printable recipe card below for full ingredients & directions!
Baked chicken breasts do not need to be boring! Thanks to a wonderful seasoning mixture, they are so delicious that nobody will be complaining about chicken for dinner again.
- Seasoning: the seasoning is made from a combination of brown sugar, Italian seasoning blend, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Your chicken will end up with a gorgeous and flavorful crust, and even though brown sugar is the main ingredient, don’t fret about it being sweet – it’s savory! Pinky promise.
- Moist and Tender: the brown sugar (and high/fast cooking – see below) actually helps the chicken cook up all nice and juicy!
How to Bake Chicken Breast
The key to baking the best juicy chicken breast is in these 3 factors:
Chicken Breast Size
Chicken breasts can vary in size between 5 and 10 ounces, so the cooking time can vary. If baking more than one breast, make sure they’re all the same weight, so they cook at the same rate. Make sure your fillets are all the same thickness to ensure even cooking. Pound each breast out to a little more than 3/4-inch at the thickest part (0.6″ to be exact!)
What Temperature to Bake Chicken Breast
I’m willing to bet you’ve been baking your chicken at 350 for 1 hour, right? I did that for years, as well. Stop doing that! The best temperature to bake chicken breasts at is 425 degrees F. Cooking them fast at a higher temperature seals in the juices and the key to caramelization.
How Long to Bake Chicken Breast
So, you’ve pounded the chicken breasts out to 3/4-inch even thickness and preheated your oven to 425 degrees F. But how long do you bake them for? Large chicken breasts (7-8 ounce) take about 20-22 minutes to cook. Medium-sized breasts (5-6 ounces) take about 18-20 minutes. They are finished cooking when an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. (I usually take them out of the oven when they reach 162 and then let them climb to 165 as they rest on the pan.) The safest way to test for doneness is with an instant read thermometer.
Let the baked chicken rest before slicing
Watch it Being Made
Cooked chicken should be cooled completely, then stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for up to 4 days.
What to Serve with Baked Chicken Breast
Make it a meal served with any of our roasted vegetables or rice dishes. Particular reader favorites include our roasted broccoli or roasted carrots, mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes, and mushroom rice or rice pilaf. Any of those are a winning combination your entire family will love.
Oven Baked Chicken Breast
- 4 (6 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (cut back to 1/2 teaspoon if using table salt)
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- roasted vegetable and rice pilaf , for serving (or choose your favorites!)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound each chicken breast to a little more than 3/4-inch at the thickest part. (Make sure your fillets are all the same thickness to ensure even cooking.)
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, Italian seasoning, kosher salt, smoked paprika, pepper, and garlic powder until thoroughly combined.
- Place chicken on the foil; drizzle with the olive oil and massage into the chicken on both sides. Sprinkle with the seasoning, on both sides, coating as much surface area as possible.
- Transfer to the oven and cook for about 18 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees F. (Times can vary depending on the size and thickness of the breasts and your oven. I usually pull the chicken out of the oven when it reaches 162 degrees, then allow it to climb to 165 as it rests on the pan.)
- You want to allow the chicken to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing to lock in the juices.
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy! (Side suggestions, listed in the article.)