These BBQ Chicken Sliders are a little sweet, a little spicy, and off the hook yummy! Perfect for lunch, dinner, parties, or game day. Always a crowd pleaser!
Don’t miss our chicken and waffle sliders – another delicious sweet and savory combo!
Sweet and Spicy Chicken Sliders
Every bite of these chicken sliders is like a little circus of flavor! A mixture of cooked chopped chicken, pineapple, pickled jalapenos, mayonnaise and BBQ sauce, between buns that are drizzled with a savory and sweet honey-butter sauce. They’re baked so it all clings together by melted gooey cheese. So good!
I usually roast my own chicken earlier in the day (or even the day before), but if I’m in a real pinch, a rotisserie chicken never disappoints. These sliders also solidify that I pretty much want to find any excuse to use these candied jalapeños now.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these cheesy chicken sliders:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Rolls – 12, 3-inch rolls , split in half. You can use savory rolls or something like sweet Hawaiian rolls.
- Chicken – Use roast chicken, baked chicken breast, or rotisserie chicken.
- BBQ sauce – We recommend using an original or smoky BBQ sauce, not honey flavored since honey is one of the ingredients in the topping. We use our homemade BBQ sauce.
- Mayonnaise – This mellows out the tangy BBQ sauce flavor and also makes the filling nice and creamy.
- Monterey Jack cheese – We love Monterey jack cheese for these sandwiches, which is smooth and mild and compliments the other ingredients perfectly.
- Pineapple and Pickled Jalapeños – These two ingredients are what make the sliders sweet and also spicy. We love the added zing they bring. You can use fresh or canned pineapple, store-bought pickled jalapeños or take these sliders up another level with our candied jalapeños!
- Buttery topping – A combination of unsalted melted butter, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper are mixed together, then poured over the rolls before they bake.
These sliders are best enjoyed hot and fresh, but you can store leftovers for a bit.
- Storing leftovers. Store leftovers in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in foil in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Reheat leftovers. I recommend reheating the sliders in the oven to crisp the bun up as much as possible. Reheating in the microwave is going to lead to a soggier bun.
More Awesome Slider Recipes:
- Pizza Supreme Sliders
- Chicken and Waffle Sliders
- French Dip Sliders
- Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Meatballs Sliders
- Hawaiian Pork Sliders
BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 12 ounce package slider rolls , split in half
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese , divided
- 2 & 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 8 ounce can pineapple chunks , drained, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup diced pickled jalapeños
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Lay bottom halves of the rolls in the dish. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, pineapple, pickled jalapeños, barbecue sauce, and mayonnaise. Spoon an even amount of the mixture over the cheese; then sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Place the roll tops on the cheese.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the butter, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Pour mixture over the sliders.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes until cheese is melted and sliders are warmed through. Serve hot!