There are so many food blogs today, it’s crazy! When I first started, there was only a fraction of what’s online now. And just like readers who follow and unfollow certain sites, bloggers do the same.
Kathy’s first cookbook, The Ultimate Panini Press, came out a couple of years ago, and I lost count how many copies I bought as gifts.
Well, she’s back, soon releasing her second cookbook The 8×8 Cookbook: Square Meals for Weeknight Family Dinners, Desserts and More—In One Perfect 8×8-inch Dish. And what’s more, she’s founded her own publishing company, Burnt Cheese Press. She is a force!
With The 8×8 Cookbook, Kathy takes the simple 8×8-inch square baking dish up a notch (or two!) into a dinnertime secret weapon for busy families. Beyond the usual brownies and casseroles, Kathy has created 64 modern “square meals” perfect for weeknights. It’s the perfect size for a family of four or six, and recipes double easily to fit a 13×9- inch dish for a larger crowd.
Recipes include Honey-Glazed Chicken with Root Vegetables, Spinach-Pesto Lasagna, Chard Apple Stuffing, Orange Custard French Toast, and Croissant Bread Pudding with Espresso Butterscotch Sauce for dessert, just to name a few. HELLO.
These Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders are also in there and were a huge hit at my table. Sweet rolls, salty ham, tangy mustard, melted swiss cheese, pickles, and start to finish is only 20 minutes – what’s not to love??
Hot Ham and Cheese Sliders
- 9 Hawaiian sweet rolls , halved lengthwise
- 9 small slices Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 18 dill pickle slices
- 9 slices deli ham , folded in quarters
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an 8x8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, arrange bottom halves of the rolls in three rows. Assemble the sandwiches by layering on the cheese, mustard, pickles, and ham. Close the sandwiches with the top halves of the rolls, and brush the butter on each top.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe by Kathy Strahs, from The 8×8 Cookbook: Square Meals for Weeknight Family Dinners and More–In One Perfect 8×8 Inch Dish (Burnt Cheese Press, 2015), reprinted with permission.