This homemade cranberry sauce is a delicious twist on classic cranberry sauce with added pomegranate juice. It’s so easy and bursting with flavor!
When I was a kid, we had a pomegranate tree in our back yard. When they were ripe, the family would gather around the kitchen table, scooping out all the seeds into a large community bowl. Then we would eat the seeds by large spoonfuls.
I remember the seeds had a slight crunch, popping in my mouth, releasing their juice – my tongue and lips would be stained purple for a little while. It remains a great childhood memory.
That pomegranate tree has since been replaced by tangelos, so I’ve been reduced to buying them at the store like common folk. Lol.
Sometimes I’ll even splurge and buy just the seeds, but that’s not nearly as much fun. I also buy pomegranate juice for Thanksgiving to make this homemade cranberry sauce recipe!
What ingredients do I need for this Cranberry Sauce?
You only need a few simple ingredients!
- pomegranate juice
- orange juice
- brown sugar
- salt and pepper
Can I use frozen cranberries?
Yes! Fresh or frozen cranberries both work beautifully, so you can make this recipe all year round – it’s another reason why I love this cranberry sauce recipe so much. Finding frozen cranberries in June can be challenging, so a lot of times I’ll buy fresh cranberries when they’re in season and then freeze them for later.
What are some uses for Cranberry Sauce?
Cranberry Sauce is pretty synonymous with Thanksgiving side dishes, but you can use cranberry sauce in so many things.
- Mix in a couple tablespoons with Greek Yogurt, topped with granola for a delicious healthy breakfast or snack.
- Drizzle with a little maple syrup and top with some homemade whipped cream, for a simple dessert. So good!!
- Put it on pancakes, waffles, or crepes.
- Stir some into hot oatmeal or use as a layer in Overnight Oatmeal.
- Cook up this Cranberry Chicken – a weeknight dinner lifesaver!
- Make Slow Cooker Cranberry Meatballs with it!
- Bake a Cranberry-Orange Pound Cake – perfect for a Sunday brunch!
- Whisk some into your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Blend into smoothies.
- Whip up a batch of Cranberry Honey Butter!! SO GOOD.
- Use some for these Cran-Turkey Enchiladas – the best use for any Thanksgiving leftovers!
How long does this Cranberry Sauce keep?
You can make this recipe up to a week ahead of time and keep refrigerated in an airtight container.
The look, the smell, the taste. All of it will make your mouth water! Get your holiday underway by making some. Or make up a batch all year round. It’s glorious.
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In a medium saucepan, mix together all of the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries pop and the sauce has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature.
- Serve with turkey, pork, or even mixed into plain yogurt for a healthy dip!