Easy Cranberry Chicken only requires 5 minutes of prep, a few pantry staples, and is super delicious. Weeknight dinner lifesaver!
This is one of the very first recipes I ever made all on my own. No surprise, since it’s so easy that a child could do it!
Cranberry Chicken goes way back to my teenage years when my mom used to make it. Now it’s become something I serve often for my own family, since everyone loves it so much. It’s a little sweet, a little tart, rich, and so delicious!
Cranberry Chicken Recipe
You only need 5 pantry ingredients for this one. And bonus – all you need is a mixing bowl, a casserole dish, and $15.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Canned whole cranberry sauce
- Catalina salad dressing
- Onion soup mix
- salt and pepper
- Chicken thighs
I know the ingredients might sound weird, but somehow they all really work.
Whenever I mention this dish to people who have never had it, they look at me with much skepticism. “What are the ingredients, again?” they say. I swear to them they’ll love it. They don’t believe me. And then they always come back and say they made it, loved it, and will make it again and again. I’m batting 1,000 so far.
I adore this dish as is, but there are a few variations that work.
- Dressing: You could use Russian salad dressing if you can’t find Catalina.
- Cranberry sauce: Canned whole berry and jellied cranberry sauce are interchangeable. You could also use homemade cranberry sauce if you have any leftover around holiday time.
- Jam: Apricot preserves can be used in place of the cranberry sauce.
- Chicken: Chicken breasts can be used instead of chicken thighs.
Cranberry Chicken is crazy easy to make, easy to clean up, inexpensive, and tasty. I wish every home cooked meal could be like this!
Cranberry Chicken Video
Other easy chicken recipes we love
- 8 ounce bottle Catalina salad dressing
- 1.25 ounce (1 packet) dry onion soup mix
- 15 ounce can whole-berry cranberry sauce (or homemade cranberry sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs , excess fat removed
- mashed potatoes or cooked rice , for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Catalina dressing, onion soup mix, cranberry sauce, and red pepper flakes. Blend well. Pour into the baking dish.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper and place in the baking dish, in a single layer, making sure all the chicken is coated well with the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour (or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 165°F.)
- Serve over mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, or rice.