This Chicken Pot Pie Soup is classic chicken pot pie converted into a fantastic warm and cozy soup! Instead of a crust, we serve it with easy homemade biscuits for a delicious complete meal. It comes together in just 30 minutes and is perfect comfort food on a chilly day.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
If you love the taste of chicken pot pie, but not really the work involved with creating a top crust or biscuit topping (or maybe you’re trying to cut back on carbs?), you will love this Chicken Pot Pie Soup! It has all the best flavors of the classic dish and comes together in just 30 minutes. Rich and creamy, and full of vegetables and seasoned chopped chicken, a bowl of this will leave you completely satisfied.
Of course we can’t resist serving some without our easy, flaky 7 UP Biscuits, which is pretty much this soup’s BFF, but those are totally optional.
What You’ll Need
- Vegetables: Onion, celery, peas and carrots, and garlic are the base.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is used to sauté the vegetables.
- Flour: This helps thicken the soup.
- Heavy cream: Makes the soup rich and extra creamy.
- Chicken broth: To keep the saltiness in check, we use low-sodium broth.
- White wine: This adds great depth of flavor and enhances the other ingredients. The alcohol in the wine evaporates while the food is cooking. An inexpensive Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot, or Chardonnay are all fine. (See note below about substitutions.)
- White wine vinegar: For a zippy component. It’s subtle, but does add a special extra flavor.
- Cooked chicken breast: Either baked or rotisserie chicken, shredded or chopped – whatever you prefer.
- Seasonings: Dried Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and fresh chopped parsley.
- Omit the wine: The wine can be replaced with more chicken broth, but the flavors will not be as deep.
- Use different vegetables: If you don’t like peas and carrots, feel free to include corn, green beans, mushrooms, or potatoes instead (keeping in mind the cook time might need to be adjusted.)
- Make it lighter: Half-n-half or whole milk can replace the heavy cream, if preferred.
- Swap the chicken with turkey: Got leftover Thanksgiving turkey? Use it in place of the chicken.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Once all of your ingredients are ready to go, this soup comes together really fast.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for complete details.)
- Sauté the vegetables: Sauté the onion, celery, peas and carrots in melted butter until soft and tender. Stir in the garlic until fragrant.
- Add seasonings and flour: Add in the seasonings and then whisk in the flour until it cooks off.
- Pour in the wine: Stir in the wine, allowing it to evaporate.
- Pour in the broth and cream: Gradually pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken: Add in the cooked chicken pieces.
- Simmer: Bring to a gentle bubble and let simmer for about 5 minutes until the soup has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Finish: Stir in parsley and vinegar, then taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Due to the vegetables and chicken, this soup is pretty substantial on its own, but we love to serve it with one of these:
Allow anything leftover to cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for 3 days. Reheat gently in the microwave or on the stovetop until warmed through. We don’t recommend freezing this soup due to the high amount of dairy, which tends to separate and become grainy once thawed.
More Soup Recipes:
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 small celery stalks , diced
- 1 1/4 cups frozen peas and carrots , thawed
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (either baked or rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 7 Up Biscuits , for serving (optional and not included in the calorie calculation)
- Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the onion, celery, peas and carrots; sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in the flour until completely combined and cooked off, about 1 minute.
- Stir in wine, letting it evaporate and scraping up any browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pot.
- Gradually pour in the chicken stock and heavy cream, stirring frequently.
- Add in the cooked chicken pieces.
- Bring to a gentle bubble and let simmer for about 5 minutes until the soup has thickened, stirring occasionally so the soup doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in parsley and vinegar.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with 7 Up biscuits and enjoy!SEE RECIPE VARIATIONS BELOW.