I can’t believe there was a time when I hated vegetables. Now, I could eat them like candy – sweet peas in pasta, broccoli in a stir-fry, roasted cauliflower, and carrots in soup. Cooked or raw. Gimme. All of them!
Who knows how much of it has to do with our palates maturing, or just simply being exposed to more foods, and having them cooked in different ways. I am huge believer in the latter. My kids certainly don’t like all vegetables, but they really like quite a few – because I am relentless in having them try everything over and over.
So, today I’m teaming up with V8 to challenge you!
1. Put a blindfold around a friend and see if they can guess which vegetables they’re tasting. Then it’s your turn. Share the video for all the fun to see!
2. Go a day without cooking your vegetables, and instead eat them raw.
3. Find some beautiful veggies at your local Farmer’s Market or grocery store and show us your favorites.
4. Make up your own Veggie Mission and send it in!
1. Try a new vegetable you’ve never had before.
2. Find a vegetable and hug it. Pictures or it didn’t happen!
3. Take a picture of you kissing your favorite kind of V8 and show us.
4. Photobomb a picture, by sneaking vegetables into it. Extra points if it’s someone else’s!
And here’s one from me! Make this hearty crock pot beef stew, loaded with vegetables, tender meat, and packed with flavor. Easiest dare you’ll ever get!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours on low
• 1/4 cup flour
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 2 pounds chuck roast, trimmed of hard fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 16 ounces baby carrots, cut in half
• 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 3 large new potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 2 (14.5 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
• 2 (5 ounce) cans low-sodium V8 juice
• 1 (20 ounce) container ketchup
• 1/4 cup brown sugar
• 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• 3 large garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
• chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Lightly coat a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Place flour, onion power, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large ziploc bag. Seal and shake to combine. Add the beef cubes and shake until well coated.
Warm olive oil in a large dutch oven pot over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, remove beef from the flour, shaking off any excess, and add in two batches (do not overcrowd the pot.) Cook, without stirring for 1 minute, until brown; transfer to the slow cooker.
Scatter carrots, onion, and potatoes on top of the beef.
In large bowl, whisk together the beef broth, V8 juice, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning. Pour over the vegetables and meat.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Note: do not use stew meat! Chuck roast is the best choice and will result in tender pieces of meat.