Tomatoes, artichokes, and cream come together in this delicious 20 minute Artichoke Pasta recipe. A super quick and easy dinner that’s great for any night of the week.
We can just file this Artichoke Pasta under my-belly-is-so-full-but-my-mouth-wants-more category. Surely, there is such a thing, right? I adore this dish, right up there with one of our other favorites, Bacon and Peas Pasta. Both so incredibly easy, but bursting with flavor.
Favorite Pasta Recipe
Here’s why we love it:
- Flavor: Sweet onion and tomatoes, combined with the subtle nuttiness of artichokes, punchy garlic, and coated with cream is just glorious.
- Easy: Nothing complicated here. A few steps to creating an incredible tasting sauce that’s tossed with cooked pasta.
- Pantry items: A short list of fresh ingredients and canned ingredients are used, all of which are pretty common and always in my pantry.
- Fast: This dish is effortless and comes together in 20 minutes.
- Inexpensive: A dish like this would probably run you $12 at a restaurant, but you can make it for less than that and feed your entire family!
- Reheats well: If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, this dish reheats so well the next day for lunch.
Artichoke Pasta Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Pasta: I always make this with spaghetti, but really any pasta works great.
- Vegetables: Sweet onion and fresh garlic are the base for the sauce.
- Vegetable broth: Low sodium vegetable broth is part of the sauce and adds richness. You can also use chicken broth.
- Heavy cream: This is what make the sauce thick and luscious! You can cut back on calories slightly by using half-n-half. I do not recommend other substitutes because the sauce will be too runny.
- Parmesan: For cheesy, salty goodness. Use fresh, not the shaker-style.
- Tomatoes: Canned, seasoned diced tomatoes, undrained. Their liquid adds even more flavor to the dish.
- Artichokes: Canned artichoke hearts (in water, not marinated.)
- Seasonings: Kosher salt, pepper, nutmeg, and fresh parsley.
- Olive oil and Butter: Used for sautéing.
This is a hearty dish even without any meat, however you could easily toss in some roasted chicken or cooked shrimp. Delicious!
What to Serve with Tomato Artichoke Pasta
Allow any leftovers to cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Other Pasta Recipes We Love!
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 15 ounce can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes , undrained
- 14 ounce can quartered artichoke hearts , drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Low sodium vegetable broth ( or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Set a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt olive oil and butter in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté for about 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add in the tomatoes (with their juices) and artichokes; gently stir to combine.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in the cream and broth. Stir in the Parmesan. Warm through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with parsley, toss, and serve hot.