This is the best garlic bread recipe! Using only fresh ingredients for ultimate flavor, and it’s so easy that you’ll want to make it every day!
My husband and I often joke that our teenage daughter is actually a vampire, never wanting her blinds up or having any desire to leave her room. But clearly that’s not the case because she absolutely loves garlic…oh, and she’s a normal human. Lol.
She and her brother both love this homemade garlic bread. So much so that they request it every day, and if an entire week goes by without me making it, there’s some serious complaining.
What makes this recipe so great?
All the ingredients are fresh! Fresh garlic, fresh parsley, freshly grated Parmesan, real butter, and a beautiful loaf of French bread from the market bakery.
There’s certainly nothing wrong with garlic powder, dried herbs, and Parmesan that comes in a container. I’m all for shortcuts! But not with homemade garlic bread. If you want the absolute best flavor, go with fresh! This is still so easy to make, since prepping the ingredients only takes 5 minutes. The end result is so worth it.
What Bread is Best for Garlic Bread
You only need a few simple ingredients for Homemade Garlic Bread: bread, butter, garlic, herbs, and seasonings. So each ingredient is pretty important.
French bread is the ideal choice for the bread because it delivers a crispy outside and soft inside after baking. It has those perfect nooks and crannies for soaking up that magical buttery spread, without getting soggy. This recipe calls for a regular 1 pound loaf, and ideally you’ll want to use it the day you buy it (or freeze for later, see below), otherwise the outside will get hard as a rock.
How To Store Garlic Bread
Believe it or not, garlic bread is actually best stored at room temperature – refrigerating leftovers dries it out and makes it a chore to bite into. After it bakes, slice it and allow to cool completely. Then transfer the slices to an airtight resealable plastic bag, squeezing out as much air as possible, and store on the kitchen counter for up to 3 days.
If you want to reheat the garlic bread: wrap leftover bread halves or slices in foil (in a single layer) and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes, or until warmed through.
If you don’t finish all the bread within a few days, you can freeze it. Double wrap the slices in plastic wrap, then in foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. When ready to use, remove foil and plastic wrap and place bread on a baking sheet. Transfer to a 300 degree F preheated oven for 20 minutes or so, until warmed through.
Can Garlic Bread Be Made Ahead and Frozen?
Yes! This recipe literally takes minutes to put together, but sometimes it’s so nice to have one less side dish to think about at the end of the day. I mean, anything to make mealtime easier, right?
- To Make the Butter Spread in advance: Transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or mound the spread onto a piece of plastic wrap and tightly seal; transfer to a freezer safe bag, removing as much air as possible, and store in the freeze for up to 1 month.
- To Prep and Freeze the Garlic Bread (pre-baking): Follow the recipe (below) through spreading the butter mixture onto the bread slices. Then lay both sides of the bread on a cookie sheet (butter side up), and place in the freezer for about 45 minutes. Remove from freezer and put both halves together, butter side facing each other. Wrap thoroughly in plastic wrap and then in a freezer-safe resealable plastic bag, removing as much air as possible. Freeze for up to 2 months. If I can remember, I’ll thaw it in the refrigerator the night before I need it, and bake per recipe instructions. If not, bake from frozen (without thawing) 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or so, until warmed through.
I can’t think of a time when homemade garlic bread didn’t make a meal better. And it’s great for dipping into homemade marinara sauce!
What to Serve Garlic Bread with
I could, and have, made a meal out of the garlic bread alone, but it definitely pairs perfectly with these recipes:
Watch the video for this Easy Garlic Bread
How To Make This Garlic Bread Recipe
The Best Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf French bread , sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic , finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch black pepper , optional but recommended
- pinch cayenne pepper or cracked red pepper flakes , optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the butter, Parmesan, garlic, parsley, and seasonings until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Spread the cut sides of bread with the garlic-butter mixture.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the bread is golden and the edges are toasted.
- Slice and serve!
- If using table salt instead of kosher salt, reduce the amount to 1/8 teaspoon
- If using salted butter, omit the salt altogether.
- For Make-Ahead, Storage, and Freezer directions, please refer to the article.