These Apple Pie Bars are dessert squares that resemble apple pie, with a crumble bottom and top, and shredded cinnamon apples in between. Perfect for Fall baking!
Having been married in October in an apple orchard, the fall season has a special place in my heart! We head back up there every year…not to renew our vows, but more importantly to load up on fresh apple cider, donuts, pie, and lots of apples so I can make my Slow Cooker Applesauce and these apple pie bars!
I basically took my absolute favorite pie crumble topping (that I swear I could sprinkle on cereal, or waffles, or just eat with a spoon) and made a top and bottom layer out of it, with shredded apples in the middle.
Apple Pie Bars Ingredients
Dry Ingredients: all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon
Wet Ingredients: egg and butter
Apples: Pink Ladies and Honeycrisp are my favorite apples, but anything goes, so use your favorite!
How to Make Apple Pie Bars
Here’s a summary of how to make these. (Scroll to the end for the detailed printable.)
- Mix together the flour, brown sugar, some of the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Work in the egg and butter with a pastry blender (or your hands!) until pea-sized clumps form and virtually no loose flour remains. Press half of mixture evenly into a 9×13 greased pan.
- Stir together the remaining granulated sugar and cornstarch.
- Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated apples with your hands, then mix them into the sugar/cornstarch until thoroughly combined.
- Sprinkle the apple mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the apples.
- Bake until the top is slightly golden.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares and enjoy!
No need to peel the apples
How to Store Apple Bars
Allow bars to cool completely, then store in an airtight container or wrap individually in plastic wrap.
On the counter: up to 2 days
In the fridge: up to 5 days
To freeze: up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.
Watch the video
These are great for Fall weather, Thanksgiving, or to celebrate apples being in season. They are also great for making your house smell like a cinnamon apple pie!
Apple Pie Bars
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 medium apples , cored and grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9 x 13 pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Work in the egg and butter with a pastry blender (or your hands!) until pea-sized clumps form and virtually no loose flour remains. Press half of mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar and cornstarch. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated apples with your hands, then mix them into the sugar until thoroughly combined. Sprinkle the apple mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the apples.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the top is slightly golden. Cool completely before cutting into squares and enjoy!
inspired by allrecipes