This No Churn Rocky Road Ice Cream is rich, creamy chocolate ice cream, loaded with marshmallows and almonds. Plus no fancy appliance needed, so anyone can make it!
I’m back with another no churn ice cream flavor – this time Rocky Road!
My husband doesn’t ask many questions when I cook or bake. Just eats and tells me how delicious it is, like a good spouse. But with this Rocky Road ice cream, he was full of curiosity. “What’s in it?” “How did you make it?” “Was it easy?” “Can you make it again?”
That’s when I knew I had a winner.
We’re already in love with the original Almond Breeze almond milk, but this was the first time using their chocolate variety. And it certainly won’t be the last! My daughter even asked if she could pour some on her cereal tomorrow morning. Smart kid.
What is Rocky Road Ice Cream?
Rocky road ice cream is a chocolate flavored ice cream. Many variations have popped up over the years, but it is traditionally made with chocolate ice cream, nuts, and marshmallows.
What is no churn ice cream
With no-churn ice cream, there’s no ice cream machine needed. You can make creamy, luscious homemade ice cream in a matter of hours.
Most homemade ice cream recipes have an egg custard base, which is cooked and can be very finicky. Not the case with the no churn variety. All you need are 2 basic ingredients, a hand mixer, a few bowls, and a spatula, and you are good to go. Add in other mix-ins to vary it every time!
Ingredients for this Rocky Road Ice Cream Recipe
The core of no churn ice cream is really just heavy whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk – that’s it! But I always add in other ingredients for additional flavor and variety, of course.
For this recipe, I included chocolate syrup, chocolate almond milk, mini marshmallows, and roasted and salted almonds – a la Rocky Road.
How to make no churn Rocky Road ice cream
Simply whisk together the condensed milk, chocolate syrup, and almond milk in a large bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, you’ll beat the heavy cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, and then gently fold the two mixtures together.
Then gently fold in the marshmallows and chopped almonds.
Transfer the mixture to a (chilled) 4 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover tightly and freeze until solid (this tally takes about 6 hours.)
Let ice cream stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving, then scoop away and enjoy!
Does No Churn Ice Cream Taste Like Regular Ice Cream?
Not really. It’s so delicious, but definitely different. No Churn ice cream is sweeter than traditional ice cream and it definitely has the flavor of sweetened condensed milk, so if you’re not a fan of sweetened condensed milk, you probably won’t like this ice cream recipe.
Most no churn recipes call for an entire can of sweetened condensed milk, though, whereas this recipe only needs 3/4 cup. You can use the remaining amount for my Lemon Gooey Bars!
Can I make no churn ice cream without condensed milk?
I’m not sure! I’ve only made this recipe as written, so I can’t say for sure how to alter it for a dairy-free version, or if it would turn out.
- A metal container will freeze the ice cream faster and better than a glass container.
- No churn ice cream melts a little quicker than typical custard based ice creams.
- Lower fat or lower sugar alternatives won’t deliver proper results, so don’t try to substitute.
- Chop up your mix-ins finely before adding them.
How to store this Rocky Road Ice Cream?
This ice cream can remain frozen for up to 2 weeks. Keep the container tightly sealed to avoid freezer burn.
Suggested Ice Cream Toppings
My house is never without these homemade toppings!
Other No Churn Ice Cream Recipes to try!
No Churn Rocky Road Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate sauce (<< that link is to my homemade recipe)
- 1/4 cup Chocolate Almond milk
- 16 ounces (2 cups) heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup finely chopped roasted and salted almonds
- Whisk together the condensed milk, chocolate syrup, and almond milk in a large bowl; set aside
- In a medium bowl, beat whipping cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, about 2-3 minutes.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture until combined.
- Then gently fold in the marshmallows and chopped almonds.
- Transfer to a (chilled) 4 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch loaf pan. (Mixture will be loose.) Cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 6 hours.
- Let ice cream stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes before serving.