This Caramel Apple Sheet Cake is moist and buttery, with cinnamon and apples throughout. Plus a silky icing infused with caramel flavor that is to die for!
Well, it’s October! October, you guys. It’ll be Thanksgiving before we know it. Crazy.
While I personally love pumpkin all year long, it seems that most people don’t really embrace it until Fall rolls around. And I sort of get that. Pumpkin, Halloween, autumn leaves << synonymous with one another. But apples? Apples are different for some reason. They are consumed January-December. Maybe because apples are more versatile?
Regardless, Fall is definitely apple season and recipes using them are in abundance.
We’re looking forward to our annual trip up to Apple Hill to get our fill of cider and donuts. And I’ll be bringing back a bag of freshly picked whole ones, too, so I can keep making this Caramel Apple Sheet Cake.
I can’t say enough about this sheet cake. It tastes as good as it sounds. Even better!
P.S. See that beautiful layer of icing? Thick with a few crackles. Mmmm. But if you watch the end of the video, you’ll see that layer is really thin, almost melted. That’s because I was impatient and didn’t let the cake cool enough before spreading it on while filming. So take note! Let the cake cool.
Either way, you’ll be hard pressed not to keep eating and eating this. It is amazing!!
Other sheet cake recipes we love
watch the video for caramel apple sheet cake
Caramel Apple Sheet Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium apple , diced small (about 1 1/4 cups)
For The Icing
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons caramel topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream and eggs.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry (batter will be thick.)
- Fold in the diced apples.
- Gradually stir in the warm melted butter and mix well until combined.
- Pour batter evenly into the prepared pan (batter will be loose.)
- Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 25-27 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when touched. Let cool at least 30 minutes.
- Make the icing by combining the butter and milk in a medium microwave safe bowl; microwave for 45 seconds, and then in 15 second intervals until butter is melted. Whisk to combine. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, and caramel topping; whisk to combine (add more powdered sugar or milk to get the right consistency - you want the icing to pour, but thick enough that it doesn't pool over the sides of the pan.)
- Pour icing over the cake while it’s cooled, but still slightly warm. Allow to set for about 15-20 minutes.
- Slice into squares and enjoy!