This Easy Apple Cake is mildly sweet, filled with apples, coconut, pecans, and drizzled with a dreamy cream cheese glaze. It’s a perfect dessert for Fall, any holiday, or Sunday brunch when you have a crowd.
When fall rolls around, I immediately get excited about the crisp air, gorgeous red and orange leaves, all my favorite light-weight jackets, and baking with apples! With such a huge variety to choose from, there’s no shortage of desserts to make. This homemade apple cake recipe is a family favorite and one I’ve been serving for years.
It’s packed with apples, coconut, pecans, and cinnamon, but has a light texture. The cake itself is not terribly sweet, but the glaze is, which gives it a perfect balance. It’s easy, foolproof, and wonderful.
Apple Cake Recipe Ingredients
Here’s a brief rundown of what you’ll need to make this apple bundt cake:
- Wet Ingredients: eggs, vegetable oil, orange juice, vanilla
- Dry Ingredients: all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
- Mix-ins: apples, sweetened coconut flakes, chopped pecans
- Glaze: cream cheese, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla
How to Make Apple Cake
Not only does this from scratch cake deliver on taste, but it’s also so easy to prepare all in one large bowl!
- Whisk together all the wet and dry ingredients until combined.
- Fold in the apples, coconut, and pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased bundt pan.
- Baked until a tester comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and then drizzle the glaze on top.
What type of apples are best for apple cake?
I usually use Honeycrisp or Pink Ladies when I make this recipe, but Fuji and Gala apples are also perfect. Really any apple works great in this cake, so choose your favorite!
I think this cake is so lovely as is, but here are a few variations you can try, if preferred:
- Peel and chop the apples instead of shredding them
- Swap out the pecans for walnuts
- Replace a 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar with brown sugar
- Stir in a pinch of nutmeg along with the cinnamon
- Simply omit the coconut if it’s not your thing
- Poke holes in the warm cake and drizzle the glaze over the top so it sinks in even more
- Add a little rum to the glaze
- Be sure to spoon and level when measuring the flour – don’t scoop! Too much flour will produce a super dense cake.
- The batter for this cake is thick – don’t be alarmed, that’s normal. Just don’t over-mix your ingredients.
- My oven runs hot, so this cake takes about 70 minutes for me. If your oven is normal, check it at 70 minutes and continue checking every 5 minutes until a tester comes out clean. It should not take any longer than 90 minutes.
Can I bake this in a 9×13 pan instead?
Yep! Instead of greasing a bundt pan, you’ll grease and flour a 9×13 baking pan. Follow all the same preparation instructions, but bake on the upper third oven rack at 325 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool, glaze, and cut into squares.
NOTE: cooking time can vary depending on your oven and whether you use a glass or metal pan.
How to Store Fresh Apple Cake
Does apple cake need to be refrigerated? Leftover apple cake can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 days. After that it will need to be transferred to the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I freeze apple cake? Yep! This cake freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
Watch the video for Apple Cake
This is absolutely the best apple cake recipe! With the perfect amount of sweetness and spices, your house will smell amazing while it’s baking. Moist and delicious, it’s always a winner with family and friends, during the holidays or all year long.
Other apple desserts to make!
Easy Apple Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 medium apples ,shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
For the glaze
- 8 ounce package cream cheese ,softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Generously coat a bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, oil, orange juice, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract; mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in the apples, coconut, and pecans.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 75 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool almost completely.
- Make the glaze – in a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese powdered sugar until smooth. Blend in the milk, and vanilla until combined.
- Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan and carefully turn it out onto a stand, plate, or serving dish. Pour the glaze evenly over the top.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!