You’ll love this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe made Amish style with eggs, tater tots, bacon, and cheese. Prep it ahead, make it the same day, or freeze it for later. Can easily be doubled to feed a crowd!
When my kids were little, they didn’t really like potatoes – not baked, or mashed, or roasted – unless they were French Fries or Tater Tots. Kids are so weird!
This tater tot casserole was (and still is!) always a hit when I make it. I’ve been known to serve it for dinner, too. We all love it.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
You’ll need just a short, simple list of ingredients to make it:
- Tater Tots
- Cottage cheese
- Colby jack cheese
- Onion and Garlic
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
You only need a few minutes to prep this easy casserole and the fact that the tots don’t need to be defrosted first, makes it even easier!
Here’s a brief summary of the steps (scroll to the bottom for the detailed printable.)
- Cook the bacon, onion, and garlic.
- Whisk together the eggs, colby jack cheese, cottage cheese, scallions, salt, and pepper.
- Combine both mixtures and fold in Tater Tots.
- Transfer to a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for about an hour.
- Let stand for a couple minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Make Ahead and Storage
Can you make tater tot breakfast casserole ahead of time? Yep! Just prep the casserole, cover tightly and store in the fridge up to 1 day in advance. Before baking, set out on the counter for at least 30 minutes to start to reach room temperature.
How to store leftovers? Cool completely, then place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze tater tot breakfast casserole? Yes! This casserole freezes well. Allow to cool completely after baking, then transfer to a freezer-safe, airtight container (or portion out into individual servings.) It can be stored up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
Watch it Being Made
Other Breakfast Casseroles
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups colby jack cheese
- 3/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 2 scallions , diced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices bacon , diced small
- 1 medium sweet onion , diced small
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups Tater Tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, colby jack cheese, cottage cheese, scallions, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the bacon over medium-high until crispy; drain off fat.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add in the garlic and stir for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Transfer the cooked bacon mixture to the bowl with the eggs; stir to combine. Fold in the Tater Tots.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (If the edges start to brown too quickly, tent with foil.)
- Let stand 5 minute before serving and enjoy!