This Mushroom Zucchini Pasta is a simple dish with absolutely amazing flavor and a great way to get some veggies into your diet. On the table in just 20 minutes for a great weeknight dinner option.
Quick and Easy Mushroom Zucchini Pasta Recipe
I love this mushroom zucchini pasta recipe so much in the summer months when garden squash is in full force, but also come back to this recipe all year round because it’s just plain GOOD. Simple, fresh flavors, with minimal ingredients and nothing heavy.
This is a vegetarian pasta dish, but feel free to toss in some cooked, crumbled sausage or shredded chicken if you need to satisfy meat eaters at home.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this quick and easy pasta dinner:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Pasta – Thin spaghetti is my standard pasta for this dish, but you can really use any. Choose your favorite.
- Zucchini – You’ll shred the zucchini and then press out any excess moisture. Leave the skin on for flavor and color.
- Mushrooms – Zucchini and mushrooms are best buddies in this dish. Cremini are preferred over button mushrooms, since they’re more flavorful, but either work.
- Garlic – Lots of garlic. For wonderful aromatics and flavor. Use fresh!
- Olive oil: – For sautéing the veggies.
- Seasonings – Just salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat season the dish.
- Parmesan cheese – With such few ingredients, use the best quality, which means freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, which is infinitely better than anything pre-shredded.
How to Make Zucchini Mushroom Pasta
This dish comes together in about 20 minutes, tops. Here’s a brief summary:
(Scroll to the bottom for our easy printable recipe with the complete directions, and don’t miss the video below.)
- Cook the pasta. Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to package directions until al dente.
- Sauté the vegetables. While the pasta is cooking, heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic. When the garlic starts to sizzle in the oil, add the zucchini. Season with salt pepper to taste and the red pepper flakes; sauté for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for several minutes more.
- Add cooked pasta. Add hot, drained pasta to the pan and toss with the zucchini and mushroom mixture.
- Add Parmesan. Add in the Parmesan and toss again to incorporate.
- Serve. Enjoy right away while it’s hot.
- Add a protein. This dish is delicious with the addition of cooked, crumbled pork sausage. Shredded cooked chicken is good, too.
- Include yellow squash. 50/50 combo of zucchini and yellow squash is really good.
- Try it with eggplant. Replace the mushrooms with diced eggplant for a different flavor.
- Cut back on the garlic. A lot of garlic is pretty essential in this dish, but if 8 cloves sounds like too much to you, feel free to cut back – but not too much! It lends amazing flavor.
Video: Mushroom Zucchini Pasta
Leftover pasta with zucchini and mushrooms should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will last for 2 to 3 days, keeping in mind that the veggies will loose a lot of their fresh color and crispness. Gently reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave. I do not recommend freezing this dish.
More Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes:
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Creamy Shrimp Pesto Pasta
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodle Skillet
- Broccoli and Bacon Pasta
- One Pot Sausage Pasta
Mushroom Zucchini Pasta
- 12 ounces spaghetti (or pasta of your choice)
- 2 medium zucchini , shredded and all moisture pressed out
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms , chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Set a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil to the pan, then add the garlic. When the garlic starts to sizzle in the oil, add the zucchini. Season with salt pepper to taste and the red pepper flakes; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 4 more minutes.
- Add hot, drained pasta to the pan. Toss spaghetti with the zucchini and mushroom mixture.
- Add the Parmesan and mix to combine. Serve hot and enjoy!