This cold Mexican Rice and Grape Salad is light, healthy, and delicious. Loaded with sweet grapes and robust pico de gallo, it’s perfect for summer!
It’s officially the first full week of summer vacation. Yay! (Ask me how I feel about that next week, as Haley and Trevor start arguing, and I might be less excited. But for now, I’m loving it. Ha.)
Summer is where I let my hair down and loosen up on the rules, especially when it comes to food. Popsicles at 10am? Sure! Slice of cake before bed? Ok. But I make up for it with all the vegetables and fruit they eat during the day.
Super excited to be working with Grapes from California today! They were no doubt the most popular fruit in my kids’ lunches all year long and definitely now during swimming breaks. Perfectly portable for a grab-and-go snack. No peeling, no coring, no cutting. No fuss!
In season May-January, nearly 85 varieties of red, green, and black grapes are grown in California. My kids never get tired of them! Plus, skewers are your friend. Simply put grapes and cheese on a toothpick and suddenly you’re the best mom ever! Or grapes dipped in yogurt, then frozen << awesome, wholesome snack when it’s blazing hot outside.
And check out all the health benefits – grapes are a natural source of antioxidants and other polyphenols, have no fat, no cholesterol, and virtually no sodium. Not only that, but one serving (about 3.4 cup) contains just 90 calories.
I love mixing them into sandwiches, sides, or salads for an added boost of flavor and nutrition. This Mexican Rice and Grape Salad is a perfect combination of sweet and salty. Light, but filling. And it tastes great warm, cold, or at room temperature. It’s perfect for lunch or a potluck!
I’m excited to partner up with Grapes From California and KitchenPlay to invite you to participate in the “Serve up Summer” Twitter party on June 20, 2016 at 9PM EST. With California Grapes in-season May through January, we’ll be sharing recipes and ideas to inspire you to add grapes to more of your meals and snacks all season long. Follow the hashtag #GrapesfromCA for some tasty grape ideas and chances to win cash prizes! You can register here.
And more fun is being had over on Facebook, where readers have a chance to win gift cards, Ellie Krieger’s new cookbook, and a grand prize of $500. Going on now until September 21st!
Mexican Rice and Grape Salad
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cup small California red grapes , halved
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Place rice in a medium saucepan; rinse and drain under cold water 3-4 times. Bring the rice, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 1/2 cups water to boil. Turn heat to low, cover, and cook 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a baking sheet and gently spread out to cool, 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, honey, and sea salt. Fold in the cooled rice, grapes, and pico de gallo.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Stir in the cilantro just before serving.