This Creamy Cucumber Salad is light, refreshing, and absolutely delicious. Perfect to beat the heat in the summertime or all year round as a simple side!
I seem to have developed an unbelievable fondness for cucumbers lately that I don’t ever remember having. I’ve been eating them so much and loving it! Must be the summer heat, which comes early where I live.
Cool cucumbers are such a great addition in salads, which balance out hot food off the grill perfectly. Plus, they’re inexpensive and come in several different varieties.
This Creamy Cucumber Salad is a classic, also known as German Cucumber Salad, and probably something your grandmother used to make. I’ve seen this salad made with mayonnaise, sour cream, yogurt, garlic powder, and even feta cheese. But the key ingredients are cucumbers, red onion, and fresh dill, tossed in a simple sweet dressing.
Tips for this Creamy Cucumber Salad
1. I use Persian cucumbers when I make this because they are of the “burpless” variety, virtually seedless, have less water, and render smaller rounds. But you can use English cucumbers if you prefer. You can also use the common waxy cucumbers, but I don’t really like their skin in this salad, so you might want to peel them.
2. I highly recommend using a mandolin to slice your cucumbers and onion. This allows the slices to be thin and uniform.
3. Sprinkle the cucumbers (and onion) with a little salt, toss, and let sit for about 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. You can skip this step, but it really helps extract moisture you don’t want in this salad.
4. The flavor from fresh dill is pretty important in this salad, so don’t swap it out for dried dill – it just won’t be as good!
Can this creamy cucumber salad be made in advance?
You can make this about an hour in advance of serving, but I don’t recommend much more than that. Cucumbers (all varieties) tend to release liquid. Even by following step #3 above ^^^, they can still release liquid, causing the creamy dressing to get watery and also weaken the flavor.
other cucumber salad recipes we love
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 5 small Persian Cucumbers ,thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion ,thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- salt and pepper ,to taste
- Set a colander over a large bowl; place the cucumbers, onion, and salt inside the colander and gently toss. Let sit for 30 minutes, allowing liquid to drain.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, vinegar, sugar, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Add in the cucumber and onion; toss gently to combine and well coated.
- Serve right away.
- I use Persian cucumbers when I make this because they are of the "burpless" variety, virtually seedless, have less water, and render smaller rounds. But you can use English cucumbers if you prefer. You can also use the common waxy cucumbers, but I don’t really like their skin in this salad, so I recommend peeling them. If using either English or Waxy, you'll need to adjust the amount needed, since they are both larger than Persian.