This Glazed Maple Apple Cake is a moist and delicious dessert perfect for the fall season, with apples throughout and coated with a maple glaze that tastes like toffee!
Maple syrup will forever remind me of my Nan.
Paul and I visited her many years ago when she was living in Las Vegas. My Uncle Randy had made pancakes for breakfast and served her a giant stack. He proceeded to pour some maple syrup on top and told her to say “when.” But she never did. She just kept letting him pour and pour until her pancakes were absolutely soaked and her plate was flooded. I leaned over and asked, “Did you not hear him to say stop?” and she said, “Oh, I heard him.” LOL. She was 92 at the time and awesome. Obviously.
She’s gone now. But every time I use maple syrup in and on anything, I think of her and laugh.
This Glazed Maple Apple Cake is right up her alley, and no doubt if she was around to try it, she would have several helpings.
You can use any type of apple, so just pick your favorite. I chose not to peel mine, because it just adds an unnecessary step – the skin breaks down just fine as it bakes. But if you want to peel your apples, go for it!
I also used pecans for the topping, but walnuts would be great, too.
I served this Maple Apple Cake for Rosh Hashanah holiday dinner last year and my Dad said it tasted like toffee. It’s so good!
Other Apple Cake recipes we love!
watch the video for glazed maple apple cake
Glazed Maple Apple Cake
For the Cake
- 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 medium apples , diced very small (2 cups)
For the Maple Glaze
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9-inch baking dish with parchment paper, letting the ends extend up the sides.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, melted butter, syrup, and vanilla until blended.
- Add in eggs. Then add in the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Fold in the apples (batter will be thick.)
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Make the glaze: in a small saucepan melt the butter over medium; stir in the syrup and brown sugar. Bring to a boil over medium, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the pecans, if using. Pour glaze over the warm cake.
- Cool completely in pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!