This Easy Chocolate Pie is so simple but decadent. And yet not overly sweet. You only need 5 pantry ingredients for the filling and 5 minutes of prep. The hardest part is waiting for it to be done baking!
I hoard pie recipes. I have a a folder full of them, cookbooks, and a Pinterest board. The thing is, nobody ever requests pie. It’s always, “Mommy, can we make cookies?” or “Mom, can I have cupcakes for my birthday?” or “Hey Babe, remember those brownies….”
Ugh. It’s like they don’t even know me!
So, the pie recipes keep building. I pretty much used National Pie Day as an excuse to try a bunch of them out. You know, for work and all.
National Pie Day may be way over. And Valentine’s Day is long gone. But nothing says I love you like chocolate. Anytime. In any form.
Especially this Easy Chocolate Pie.
And it doesn’t get much easier!
You only need six simple ingredients
2. cocoa powder
4. unsalted butter
5. evaporated milk
6. pie shell
I originally spotted this recipe on Tasty Kitchen. But there were so many questions from people having issues with the evaporated milk and butter.
Evaporated milk comes in a 12 ounce and 5 ounce cans – you only use 5 ounces! Also, a 1/2 stick of butter is not the same thing as a 1/2 cup of butter. You need a 1/2 stick for this recipe, which is 1/4 cup. If you use more evaporated milk and/or butter than is called for, you’ll have a soupy mess.
This pie has a creamy texture, almost like chocolate pudding, but not overly sweet. I topped mine with whipped cream and chocolate shavings…and then had to force myself not to eat three slices.
other pie recipes we love
Easy Chocolate Pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and cocoa powder. Vigorously whisk in the eggs, butter, and evaporated milk until completely combined and smooth (batter will be thin.)
- Pour batter into the pie crust and bake for about 50-55 minutes or until the filling sets and there is a thin crust on the top. (It might be slightly jiggly in the center, but that’s okay - as it sits and cools, it will set up more.)
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Slice and serve with a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings!
- You can use my homemade pie crust shell or a store bought - it is not baked first. The pie shell and filling bake together at the same time.
- If your oven runs hot and you notice your crust is browning too fast, use a crust protector.
- After baking, pie should be left at room temperature as the cooling process normally takes several hours. Within 5 hours, the pie should then be placed in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until serving. Pie may be refrigerated for up to 3 days.