This Crab Rangoon Dip is everyone’s favorite Chinese appetizer in dip form. Loaded with crab and a killer cheese mixture, perfect served with toasted sourdough for dipping.
Love traditional Crab Rangoon? Then don’t miss our Air Fryer Crab Rangoon!
Every job has its good and bad, but it’s pretty hard to complain when your office overlooks the Monterey Bay for an afternoon, and you bring home fresh whole crab…which you then turn into Crab Rangoon Dip for dinner.
A bunch of us had lunch overlooking the Monterey Bay and then went shopping at the brand new Andronico’s store, located a block away from the Aquarium. The store is gorgeous, you guys! I couldn’t resist buying some fresh crab. Because fresh cooked crab is best eaten pretty soon, I put it to great use the next day in this Crab Rangoon Dip.
What is Crab Rangoon?
Crab Rangoon is a super popular appetizer found on Chinese menus nationwide, maybe only playing second fiddle to egg rolls. They are wontons filled with a crab and cream cheese mixture, pinched into little purses and then deep fried.There’s debate over where it originated – probably America – because cream cheese doesn’t exist in authentic Chinese cuisine. But either way, nobody can argue how delicious they are!
Crab Rangoon Dip Recipe
This Crab Rangoon Dip has all the elements and flavor of those addicting appetizers, but a lot less work and no smell of grease lingering through your house for days after ward. It’s crazy good and is now one of our favorite hot dip recipes!
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Lump crab meat
- Sourdough bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Monterey Jack cheese (shredded): Buy it off the block, not pre-shredded, for best flavor and optimal melty goodness.
- Parmesan cheese: Again, fresh! Not pre-grated.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy sauce
- Orange juice
- Seasoning: Garlic powder, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper
How long does cooked crab last?
If cooked crab isn’t stored correctly, it will go bad pretty quickly. This can result in potential food poisoning…and nobody wants that! Cooked crab only lasts about 2 hours if left out at room temperature. Refrigerated about 3 days, and 2 months if frozen. It’s safe to freeze it longer, but the quality greatly decreases.
How to store cooked crab
Proper storage also effects the shelf life of your cooked crab meat. Store it in an airtight container or very tightly wrapped with either plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and also heavy-duty freezer-safe bags if freezing.
How to tell if your crab has gone bad
If your crab meat has a funky odor, don’t eat it. If it has a slimy texture or looks gray, don’t eat it. Basically, if your crab doesn’t smell or look like crab, don’t eat it! It’s no longer safe to consume.
Crab Rangoon Video
Other Hot Dip Recipes:
Crab Rangoon Dip
- 4 slices Sourdough bread , cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 whole scallions, diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces lump crab meat
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place sourdough pieces on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the bread with olive oil on both sides. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown and crisp, about 5-6 minutes; let cool and set aside.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch baking dish or cast iron skillet with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, mayonnaise and sour cream. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Monterey Jack cheese, Parmesan, scallions, Worcestershire, soy sauce, orange juice, Sriracha and garlic powder; and a little sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste. Gently fold in the lump crab meat.
- Spread crab mixture into the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese.
- Place into oven and bake until bubbly and golden, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the sourdough chips.