Reminiscent of traditional corn dogs, this fun main dish Corn Dog Casserole is comforting, delicious, and filling!
When is the last time you had a corn dog? We seem to only get them when we go to the State Fair, a baseball game, or Disneyland.
Well, we didn’t make it to the State Fair this year, I can count on one hand how many games we attended, and we haven’t been to Disneyland in about three years. So much sadness! All work and no play…
My family can’t resist a good corn dog. That crispy, slightly sweet, cornbread coating surrounding a plump hot dog, and then dipped in mustard. And let’s not forget that fantastic extra little nibble of fried batter at the bottom of the stick. Who can ever ignore that? Classic comfort food on a stick!
Making them from scratch is on my bucket list. I know how easy it would be, it’s just…the whole deep frying thing. Such a pain. Some day, though.
In the meantime, I made this Corn Dog Casserole because I’m a cheater. It has the flavors of a corn dog, but without the mess and fuss!
Put this on your weekly menu. Serve portions with a little dab of mustard, or a slab of butter – my favorite way!
Other Cornbread Casserole recipes we love!
Corn Dog Casserole
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 hot dogs, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces , sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 scallions , diced
- 8.5 ounce package cornbread muffin mix
- 1 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese , divided
- butter, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a shallow 2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, ground mustard, and pepper; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add celery and hot dogs. Saute until celery is tender and hot dogs are lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add in the scallions and cook for 1 minute longer. Set aside one cup of the mixture; add remaining mixture to the bowl with the milk.
- Add in the cornbread mix and 1 cup of the cheese; stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the reserved cooked hot dogs and remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve portions with a nice slab of butter!