Are you ready for the absolute best tasting cornbread? This Brown Sugar Cornbread recipe is golden on top, fluffy in the middle, and tastes amazing with hints of molasses. It only requires 5 minutes of prep and the baked results are off the chart delicious!
More ways to enjoy cornbread include our traditional cornbread made in a cast iron skillet and cornbread pudding, which is nice and creamy.
The Best Cornbread Recipe
A sure fire way to start an argument in the United States is bring up the topic of religion, politics, or… cornbread. HA. I’m only half kidding, though! People are really passionate about their cornbread recipes. Many feel a box mix is delicious, while others firmly believe from scratch is the only way to go. Some only like it sweet, while some think sugar mixed in is sacrilege.
I’ve tried so many cornbread recipes over the years, ranging from homemade skillet cornbread to creamy cornbread casserole, sometimes made with cornmeal, other times with Jiffy, including honey or sugar, savory versions, in a skillet and also in a baking dish – and as much as I love them all, I’m here to tell you this brown sugar cornbread recipe I’m sharing today is hands down my absolute favorite way.
The mixture starts with boxed Jiffy mix and includes sour cream and milk, for the creamiest texture, and both granulated sugar and a lot of brown sugar, which is amazing!
This recipe came to me through one of my friend’s grandmother who is from Georgia. So if it’s good enough for a southern grandma, it’s good enough for me – don’t fight me on it!
This cornbread recipe only requires a few ingredients.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy) – Trust me! I’ve tried this particular recipe with just cornmeal and it does’t even compare. Must be because Jiffy has lard in it!
- Brown sugar – This is the star ingredient, really. It provides the best flavor, with sweetness and notes of molasses.
- Granulated sugar – For sweetness.
- Baking powder – Yes, I know Jiffy has baking soda in the mixture, but you’ll still be adding a bit of baking powder. This helps it rise and creates a tender crumb.
- Sour Cream and Whole Milk – Makes the cornbread nice and creamy.
- Butter – Adds richness and necessary moisture.
- Egg – Provides structure to the mixture.
- Vanilla – For flavor.
- Sea Salt – Gives great balance to the sweetness and heightens the other flavors.
How to Make Brown Sugar Cornbread
You only need 5 minutes of prep to make this easy cornbread recipe in just a few simple steps.
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for details and measurements, and don’t miss the video below.)
- Prepare the pan. Coat an 8×8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray and then sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on the bottom.
- Combine ingredients. Dump corn mix into a medium bowl and smooth out any lumps with a fork. Add in all the other ingredients and whisk until smooth. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour into baking dish. Pour mixture into the baking dish in an even layer.
- Bake. Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes until a tester comes out clean (check after 35 minutes and if over-browning, tent with foil.)
- Serve. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut into squares while it’s still warm and serve with some honey butter.
Video: Brown Sugar Cornbread Recipe
What to Serve with Brown Sugar Cornbread
We love this cornbread warm with a little honey butter, cinnamon butter, or even whipped maple butter. If serving as a side, it pairs perfectly with chili or soups. It’s also wonderful with a cup of coffee in the morning!
- Storing leftovers. Allow to cool completely, then transfer any leftovers to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- To freeze. Because of the dairy content, the texture changes a bit once thawed, which isn’t ideal. But you can freeze it, if necessary. Allow to cool, transfer to a freezer-safe dish if it wasn’t baked in one, then wrap the entire pan tightly in 2 layers of foil. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Reheat. The quickest way to reheat portions is in the microwave for 10 to 20 seconds, wrapped in a lightly dampened paper towel to lock in a bit of moisture.
More Easy Side Dish Recipes:
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Brown Sugar Cornbread
- sea salt , for the pan
- 1 box (8.5 ounce) Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- honey butter , for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 square baking dish with nonstick spray and then sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on the bottom.
- Dump corn mix into a medium bowl and smooth out any lumps with a fork. Add in all the other ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a tester comes out clean (check after 35 minutes and if over-browning, tent with foil.)
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares while it’s still warm and serve with some honey butter.
Reader Questions and Reviews
My family loves sweet cornbread but have never made it with brown sugar. This was so moist and delicious!
Found a perfect cornbread to add to my go-to recipes. Can’t get any better than this!
Can I use muffin tins to bake these or 9 by 9 pan?
This cornbread recipe is sweetened and moist. Delicious. I love Amy’s recipes. I follow her.