These Cloud Eggs are a healthy, delicious, and fun way to serve sunny-side up eggs! Customize them with different seasonings. Low calorie, low carb, gluten free, and keto-friendly.
Pair these eggs with our cloud bread, made with only 4 ingredients and no flour!
Cloud Eggs Recipe
No matter how old you are, these Cloud Eggs just never stop being fun. Egg whites that look like puffy clouds with a yolk in the center resembling the sun – LOVE IT. Bonus that these Cloud Eggs are super healthy, suiting so many diets today.
My kids couldn’t care less about the nutritional value, but they sure love runny eggs. These are a hit every time.
You only need 3 ingredients to make these cloud eggs, plus pepper and herbs for serving (optional, but recommended.)
(Scroll down to the detailed printable recipe card for exact measurements.)
- Large eggs
- Parmesan cheese
- Cracked pepper, for serving
- Chopped fresh parsley or chives, for serving
- Use a different cheese. You could substitute other cheeses for the Parmesan, like Swiss or Gruyère, but I really wouldn’t skip it all together or these won’t have much flavor.
- The herbs. The herbs are optional, but I love a little sprinkle of freshly chopped Parsley or chives for taste and color.
- Include some ham. A very small amount of finely diced cooked ham folded into the beaten egg whites would be delicious. I would avoid cooked bacon or sausage because the grease will cause the egg whites to deflate.
- Add more flavor. Fold in a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, everything bagel seasoning, or ranch seasoning mix into the egg whites along with the Parmesan.
How to Make Cloud Eggs
These eggs are super easy to make in just a few steps:
(Don’t miss the printable recipe card below for all the details.)
- Separate the eggs: separate the egg whites and yolks, putting all the egg whites into a medium mixing bowl, and each egg yolk into their own individual prep bowls.
- Add salt and beat egg whites: add a small pinch of salt per egg white, then beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in Parmesan cheese: very gently fold in the Parmesan cheese until just incorporated, being careful not to deflate the egg whites. (Do not mix or pat down.)
- Create 4 equal mounds: make mounds of the egg white mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, with indentations in the centers, so they look like nests.
- Bake: bake in a 450 degree F preheated oven and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add egg yolks: pull rack out from oven and carefully add an egg yolk to the center of each nest. Return to the oven and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Serve: serve immediately with some cracked fresh pepper, fresh chopped chives, or parsley, if desired.
Tips for Success
- Avoid any yolk getting in. When you separate your eggs, you want to make certain that not even the tiniest bit of yolk ends up in your whites, or you might have difficulty beating the egg whites properly.
- Bowls needs to be completely clean and dry. Make sure the bowl you use to beat the egg whites in is 100% clean and void of any water, oils, or residue. If not, you can run into problems with the eggs whites whipping up properly.
- Fold, don’t stir! When incorporating the cheese into the beaten egg whites, FOLD gently. Do not mix or pat down, or you will deflate the egg whites.
- Be gentle. When forming the nests and making the indentations, be gentle.
Video: Cloud Eggs
More Egg Recipes:
- Just Crack An Egg (scramble kit)
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- THE BEST Scrambled Eggs
- Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
- Poached Eggs
- 4 large eggs
- pinch of salt per egg
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- cracked pepper ,for serving
- chopped fresh parsley or chives ,for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, with rack in the middle position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks, making sure that absolutely no yolk ends up in the egg whites. Put all the egg whites into a medium mixing bowl that is very clean and void of any water, oils, or residue, and each egg yolk into their own individual prep bowls.
- Add a small pinch of salt per egg white (about a scant 1/4 teaspoon total for 4 large eggs.) Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Very gently fold in the Parmesan cheese until just incorporated, being careful not to deflate the egg whites. (Do not mix or pat down.)
- Create 4 equal mounds of the egg white mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, with indentations in the centers, so they look like nests.
- Transfer baking sheet to the oven and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pull rack out from oven and carefully add an egg yolk to the center of each nest. Return to the oven and bake for another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with some cracked fresh pepper, fresh chopped chives, or parsley, if desired.