A healthy, flavorful, filling, and gorgeous snack in 10 minutes, just by broiling avocado with cheese, lime juice, and cayenne pepper.
You know it’s hot when you walk outside and there is a sea of dead worms on your sidewalk.
Everyone is still watering their lawns here, so the worms escape to the surface thinking “Whew! I’m not going to drown!” And then BAM! they burn to a crisp from the blazing sun.
Wow. That’s sort of a sad story, huh?
My point is that it’s still hotter than the Devil’s armpit where I am. BUT, the forecast for next week is showing a dip to the mid 80s – pretty crazy when 85 degrees sounds cool – so I’m hopeful that soups aren’t too much farther away. We’ll see.
While we wait for that temperature shift, look what I’ve been having for a mid-afternoon snack.
It’s got it all going on: 1) great flavor combo – salty, tangy, and slightly spicy 2) it’s filling 3) it’s healthy, and 4) isn’t it pretty? I just love green.
…including my green lawn. Come December I will be grateful for the higher temperatures and the fact that it’s not covered with snow.
- • 1 ripe avocado
- • pinch of cayenne to taste
- • juice from one lime
- • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- • 1 mini bagel (optional)
- • chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat your oven for broil and place rack in the second slot down.
- Slice the avocado in half and remove the seed. Using a sharp knife, cut a criss-cross pattern about 3/4 of the way through. Sprinkle with the cayenne, then drizzle the lime juice. Top with the Parmesan.
- Place avocado halves on a baking sheet and cook under the broiler for 4-5 minutes.
- Eat the flesh with a fork or do what I do and transfer it onto bagel halves and sprinkle with parsley.
(slightly adapted from Morsels and Musings)