A chocolate chip cookie in pie form. Super easy, rich, and perfect served with vanilla ice cream.
When Paul and I first met, he felt it best to come clean right away. “I’m not a flower or card guy,” he said. My heart sank. No cards? How would my family ever accept him?
My family…we’re big time card givers. With a slight underlying competition amongst us – who can find the funniest one on any particular occasion. This usually amounts to hours in the card aisle. It also results in giving (and receiving) more than one card. More like three or four. Serious.
Needless to say, it was another love-fest of card exchanging on Sunday for Mother’s Day.
In addition, Sister Jen – who always cooks up the yummy x10 – did not disappoint, putting out an amazing spread of pork ribs, sliders, crostini, an asparagus/cheese/bacon concoction, and baked beans.
I made pie.
Because Mother’s Day, the day of worshipping motherhood, should include pie. At least for me. Doesn’t matter that I was the one who made it. That’s just semantics, as far as I’m concerned.
My friend Kathleen sent me a link to this pie, asking if I’d ever made it? Um, no. So I got to work immediately. I’ve made it three times now. It’s ridiculously easy. And the taste? Well, forget about it. A chocolate chip cookie in pie form. Nom. It’s fairly gooey right from the oven, so for easier slicing ability let it set for a couple of hours, but when it’s still warm. (If you can’t wait that long, I completely understand.) Serve with vanilla ice cream and be swept away.
I returned home with a full belly, gruyere cheese, honey apple butter, sweet chili sauce, and a food magazine. Happy Day to me!
And my sweet Paul actually got me a card. Never mind it was the same card that Jen got me last year for Mother’s Day. I applaud his effort. I can’t expect him to get me a card and be paying attention.
- • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- • 1 cup granulated sugar
- • 1/2 cup flour
- • 2 eggs, well beaten
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 1 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
- • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- • 9 inch unbaked refrigerated pie crust
- • vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all ingredients and pour into pie shell.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until crust is baked and top is golden and crackled.
- Serve right away if you want it warm and gooey. For a firmer texture, allow to cool for a few hours before slicing. Serve on its own or with ice cream!
(originally from Your Home Based Mom)