Sweet Potato Salad is a delicious alternative to Classic Potato Salad! This delicious recipe combines sweet potatoes with a tangy, creamy dressing. It’s so easy to make and great for potlucks or as a side dish for a weeknight dinner.
More of a traditionalist? We’ve got classic Potato Salad, too. Always a winner!
Sweet potato…potato salad? Yep!
If you’ve got any potlucks or picnics left planned for the summer (or maybe Labor Day coming up?) definitely consider bringing this Sweet Potato Salad. What might look plain in appearance, is made up for in taste big time. I intended it to be a side dish, but loved it so much that I ate three servings and nothing else.
Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
Nothing can replace Classic Potato Salad, but I love this variation made with sweet potatoes for a delicious alternative. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Sweet potatoes: There are two types of sweet potatoes, one with creamy white flesh and one with orange. The USDA labels the orange-fleshed ones “yams” to distinguish them from the paler variety. I’ve made this salad with both and we do prefer the white fleshed kind. Yams are a bit strong and sort of take away from the other ingredients. But they’re both good!
- Red onion: This is our favorite onion to enjoy raw, since it’s so mild.
- Scallions: A subtle peppery flavor.
- Mayonnaise and Greek Yogurt: These ingredients are the base of the dressing and provide creaminess, rich flavor, and some tang.
- Honey: For a hint of sweetness.
- Apple cider vinegar: Adds acidity, a delicious zesty flavor, and balances out the honey.
- Sriracha: This adds a sweet heat that brings balance to the other ingredients. It’s a pretty small amount and does not make the dish spicy.
- Salt and pepper: To taste, for flavor so the dish isn’t flat.
- Boil or bake the sweet potatoes: You can boil the potatoes as written in the recipe or make a baked sweet potato or two, allow them to cool, peel and cube.
- Include red bell pepper: Fold in some chopped up red bell pepper for added color and crunch.
- Stir in some radishes: These give the salad another layer of color, texture, and flavor.
- Add in bacon: If you’re a meat eater, you can’t go wrong with the addition of crispy crumbled bacon.
Make Ahead and Storing Leftovers
Make ahead: You can easily assemble this the day before serving. We like to prepare it the night before so it’s had time to chill and the flavors to blend, but still tastes fresh.
How long does potato salad last? Sweet potato salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and will keep for 2-3 days. Do not leave this salad out at room temperature or, worse, out in the heat. That’s a big no-no with Mayo-based dressings.
Can you freeze potato salad? We don’t recommend freezing this salad. Once thawed the potatoes get grainy and the dressing separates. We just prefer to make it fresh each time.
What Goes with Sweet Potato Salad
Sweet potato salad pairs well with Ribs, Turkey Burgers, Beef Kofta Meatballs, or Marinated Flank Steak.
More Potluck Recipes:
I hope you love this delicious and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 3/4 pounds large white flesh sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 stalks scallions , diced small
- salt and pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover by 1-inch with water. Add the salt and bring to a boil. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayo, vinegar, hot sauce, and scallions.
- Gently fold in the cooled potatoes until fully coated.
- Season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Refrigerate and serve cold.
- NOTE: We prefer white flesh sweet potatoes for this recipe, but the orange variety (as photographed) are good, too.
Reader Questions and Reviews
This was SO delicious. Never would have thought to make potato salad with sweet potatoes. You sort of changed my life. Lol. Great recipe!
Sriracha! Yes! Never thought to put that in my potato salad – you are such a genius!
This looks so yummy!
YES! I’m currently obsessed with sweet potatoes so I’ve got to make this! It sounds amazing!
Yum!! I’m a big fan of potato salad, and I love how this one has a little kick to it. Was great at our barbecue!
The sweet flavor with the apple cider vinegar and sriracha is awesome!
Yum! This could totally be a meal for me, too :) I love that there’s Sriracha in it!