This Broccoli Pesto Spaghetti is a simple, uncomplicated, healthy, and delicious 20 minute meal.
We like to enjoy this for lunch or a light dinner with a cup of soup or a simple salad. It can be served hot, warm, or cold!
Broccoli Pesto with Spaghetti
This Broccoli Pesto with Spaghetti is from Donna Hay – Australian food stylist, author, and magazine editor. Nominated for a James Beard Award in Photography and a James Beard Award for General Cooking, with 22 award-winning cookbooks, which have sold over 4 million copies worldwide and translated into nine languages.
Yet her recipes are unbelievably simple and completely home cook friendly. And so good. Crazy good. She proves that great food doesn’t have to be complicated or include 50 different ingredients to achieve a flavorful meal.
This broccoli pesto is a delicious twist on traditional basil pesto, but with broccoli. It’s genius really.
This pesto sauce recipe comes together with just 6 ingredients, plus some seasonings, so purchase the best quality ingredients you can find.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Broccoli – Fresh broccoli cut into florets.
- Garlic – Fresh is a must.
- Parsley – Pesto can be made with different herbs, but we used parsley this time, which compliments the broccoli nicely.
- Pine nuts – We toast them first for added flavor.
- Olive oil – This is what turns it into a sauce and makes it creamy and rich.
- Parmesan – Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano off the block.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes for a bit of heat.
- Pasta – Cooked pasta for serving.
- Switch up the nuts. Try using almonds or walnuts in place of the pine nuts.
- Try a different cheese. Pecorino, Romano, or Asiago could also work in place of the Parmesan.
- Use a different herb. All out of parsley? Try using fresh basil or cilantro (though this will change the taste of the pesto quite a bit).
How to Make Broccoli Pesto
It’s SO easy to make this broccoli pesto recipe. You simply steam the broccoli until crisp-tender, then place it, along with all the ingredients (except the Parmesan), in the bowl of a food processor. Blitz until pureed. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Toss with cooked pasta and enjoy with the Parmesan! (Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
Spaghetti coated in broccoli pesto can be enjoyed hot, warm, or cold! Any leftovers should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container and will keep up to 3 days. Reheat gently, if desired, in the microwave until warmed through.
More Quick and Easy Pasta Recipes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
- Creamy Bacon & Peas Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Broccoli and Bacon Pasta
- One-Pan Sausage Pasta
Broccoli Pesto Spaghetti
- 7 ounces thin spaghetti
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic , roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, al dente.
- In the meantime, in a steamer set over boiling water, steam broccoli, covered, until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place steamed broccoli, garlic, parsley, pine cuts, olive oil, pinch of red pepper flakes, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper in a food processor and give it a whirl until it’s finely chopped.
- Drain pasta and toss with the broccoli mixture. Season with a bit more salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, warm, or cold with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.