Soy Sauce Eggs are hard boiled eggs soaked in a delicious Asian marinade, transforming them into the perfect low carb snack. Or served over ramen or rice for a quick, filling meal.
My post today almost consisted of this:
“Eggs are amazing. The end.”
But that doesn’t fly with Google. Sigh.
Seriously, though. Eggs are just the perfect food. They’re so versatile, transforming a gazillion simple dishes into something incredible. Chickens should be housed in plush high rise apartments, with silk sheets over their straw beds. And worshipped, I say. (I can totally see why people become obsessed with their own chickens, as seen in this super funny video!)
These soy sauce eggs are a perfect example of yet another way to take the most basic ingredient and elevate it to an 11. And one of my favorite snacks << I know I say that about pretty much everything. But, really. No, really. NO. REALLY. This is one of my favorites…also.
Before you make them, though, you’ll need hard boiled eggs! See How To Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs. Once you’ve got that done, these Soy Sauce eggs are super easy to make!
Can I vary the ingredients in the marinade?
Absolutely! This marinade is very versatile to suite your tastes. You can add mirin, ginger, garlic, red onion, or jalapeños. The possibilities are endless.
Does it matter how long I marinate them for?
Marinating for 2 hours will give you a nice subtle salty soy sauce flavor, while soaking overnight will make the color deeper and flavor stronger. I personally don’t recommend marinating for more than 36 hours because I think the eggs get rubbery.
Can I use the marinade again for another batch?
You can use the marinade one more time, BUT the flavors will not be as strong, so this is not my preference.
They’re absolutely delicious all on their own as a quick snack or energy boost, but also fantastic over ramen, rice, or a salad for a quick, filling meal.
Told you. Eggs are amazing. The end.
Watch the video to see how these soy sauce eggs are made!
Other recipes using Hard Boiled Eggs We Love!
How To Make Soy Sauce Eggs
Soy Sauce Eggs
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 2 scallions (, diced)
- 6 large hard boiled eggs (, peeled)
- Sea salt (, for serving)
- Black pepper (, for serving)
- Diced scallions (, for serving)
- In a quart-sized jar or container (with a lid), whisk together the water and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, then stir in the vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, and scallions.
- Place the eggs in the soy sauce mixture, making sure they're all submerged.
- Seal with the lid, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2, and up to 24 hours.
- Remove the eggs from the liquid.
- To serve, cut the eggs in half lengthwise and season with sea salt, pepper, and diced scallions.