This Egg Salad Recipe is super simple and perfect as a side, in a sandwich, or in lettuce wraps for a low carb option. Made with pickles, mayo, and mustard, it’s a must for lunch and at any summer BBQ or picnic.
And don’t miss our Tuna Salad with Egg recipe where our favorite tuna salad and egg salad are combined!
Best Egg Salad Recipe
Every spring I’m excited for baseball season, because that means it’s also BBQ, grilling, and potluck season! Bring on all the burgers, hot dogs, pasta salad, and egg salad, please.
This is my go-to egg salad recipe. It’s simple and easy, tangy from the mustard, but slightly sweet, too. And gets the slight crunch from dill pickles (which I love), instead of celery (which I don’t.) I never get tired of it!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this egg salad recipe:
(Scroll to the bottom for our easy printable recipe with the complete directions.)
- hard boiled eggs
- dill pickles and dill pickle juice
- yellow mustard
- granulated sugar
- kosher salt and pepper
Why the Sugar?
I get this question A LOT. Simple answer…because I like how it tastes. Longer answer…when small amounts are used in savory dishes, it’s actually a fantastic ingredient that not only lends flavor, but balances out other ingredients, just like salt does.
So, then people suggest I use sweet pickle relish instead. 1) sweet pickle relish also contains sugar, so I don’t really see the difference in that regard, and 2) I prefer dill pickles.
It’s only a tiny bit of sugar and you certainly can omit it. But why not try it? A lot of people have made this recipe with the sugar and love it!
How to Make Egg Salad
The first thing you need to make egg salad is Hard Boiled Eggs – then you’re off and running! Simply peel and chop them. Whisk together all the other ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Gently fold in the chopped eggs. Dust with some paprika, if desired.
This egg salad can be enjoyed as a side, an egg salad sandwich, or even wrapped up in some lettuce leaves for a low carb option! To make this recipe, just scroll below for the complete details and printable recipe card.
Video: How to Make Egg Salad
How Long Does Egg Salad Last?
This egg salad will keep in the fridge, covered in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
More Classic Salad Recipes:
Best Egg Salad Recipe
- 8 large eggs
- 1 large dill pickle , diced very small
- 2 teaspoons dill pickle juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika , plus more for garnish
- Make the hard boiled eggs: add the eggs to a saucepan and fill with cold water to cover eggs by 1-2 inches. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let the eggs stand for 12 minutes. Take the eggs out of the water and immediately submerge into ice water. Let cool completely.
- Peel and chop the eggs small.
- Whisk together all the other ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Gently fold in the chopped eggs. Dust with a touch of paprika.
- Serve as is, on sandwiches, or as lettuce cups and enjoy!