This Easy Egg Salad recipe is super simple and perfect as a side or in a sandwich. Made with pickles, mayo, mustard, and a little sugar, it’s a must at any summer BBQ or picnic.
Every spring I’m excited for baseball season, because that means it’s also BBQ, grilling, and potluck season!
Bring on all the burgers, hot dogs, pasta salad, and egg salad, please.
This is my go-to egg salad recipe. It’s simple and easy, tangy from the mustard, but slightly sweet, too. And gets the slight crunch from dill pickles (which I love), instead of celery (which I don’t.) I make it so much, I never refer to the recipe anymore.
Why Use Sugar in Egg Salad?
I get this question A LOT. Simple answer…because I like how it tastes. Longer answer…when small amounts are used in savory dishes, it’s actually a fantastic ingredient that not only lends flavor, but balances out other ingredients, just like salt does.
So, then people suggest I use sweet pickle relish instead. 1) sweet pickle relish also contains sugar, so I don’t really see the difference in that regard, and 2) I prefer dill pickles.
You certainly can omit the sugar! It just won’t be the way this recipe was intended.
How Long Does Egg Salad Last in the Fridge?
The egg salad will keep in the fridge, covered in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
How Do You Make Hard Boiled Eggs?
Before you make egg salad, you need Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs – then you’re off and running! A lot of people today swear that an instant pot is the way to go, but not everyone has (or can afford) an instant pot. This old school way of a trusty stove top and pot has been working for many many years and still does!
This egg salad can be enjoyed as a side, a sandwich, or even wrapped up in some lettuce leaves for a low carb option!
Watch the video for this Egg Salad recipe!
Other Recipes Using Hard Boiled Eggs We love
Other Picnic Recipes We Love
How To Make This Egg Salad Recipe
Easy Egg Salad Recipe
- 8 large hard boiled eggs
- 1 large dill pickle , diced small
- 2 teaspoons dill pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- paprika , optional
- Start with perfect hard boiled eggs that have cooled.
- Peel and chop the eggs small.
- Whisk together all the other ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Gently fold in the chopped eggs. Dust with some paprika, if desired.
- Serve as a side or on rolls and enjoy!
- Why add sugar?! I get this question A LOT. Simple answer...because I like how it tastes. Longer answer...when small amounts are used in savory dishes, it's actually a fantastic ingredient that not only lends flavor, but balances out other ingredients, just like salt does. You certainly can omit the sugar. It just won't be the way this recipe was intended.
- The egg salad will keep in the fridge, covered in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.