Made with pimento peppers, two different cheeses, and just a few other ingredients, Pimento Cheese Dip is a Southern classic that’s perfect for your next get-together. Serve this mild cheese dip with crackers and veggies or use it as a spread on sandwiches, wraps, and more.
Easy Pimento Cheese Dip Recipe
Today we’re bringing a Southern classic to the table, with this easy pimento cheese dip. It’s definitely a regional thing and a staple at most Southern get-togethers, potlucks, and parties – but once you try this easy party dip, you’ll find yourself making it for every occasion. Made with tangy sharp cheddar cheese, cream cheese, and mild pimento peppers, it’s the perfect accompaniment to a veggie tray, maybe next to some homemade ranch dip and this cold veggie pizza appetizer.
But don’t stop at the party tray – this pimento cheese spread recipe has so many other uses. We love it on sandwiches and wraps and it adds a fun twist to burgers, jalapeno poppers, and more.
What is Pimento Cheese?
Pimento cheese is a Southern classic, made with pimento peppers (sometimes spelled as “pimiento peppers”), cheddar cheese, and mayonnaise. Of course, there are many variations that go above and beyond those 3 ingredients and most recipes also include at least garlic & onion powder. (The recipe we’re sharing today has a few extra ingredients as well.) Pimento cheese is typically served as a dip or sandwich spread.
You may know of pimento peppers as the peppers stuffed inside green olives. For today’s recipe we’ll be using jarred peppers which have a very mild flavor, so this dip is not at all spicy unless you make it so.
My version of pimento cheese spread is made with just a handful of ingredients and a few seasonings that really pack in the flavor.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Extra-sharp cheddar – The extra-sharp cheddar really brings out the cheddar flavor. If possible, grate it fresh off the block for optimal results.
- Cream cheese – Cream cheese makes this dip creamy and tangy. Make sure it’s softened before mixing, so it’s nice and spreadable.
- Pimento peppers – You should be able to find these in a jar. Be sure to drain thoroughly before using. If you can’t, roasted red peppers are an option.
- Mayonnaise – Since we’re using a full brick of cream cheese, a small amount of mayonnaise is enough to add some creaminess to the dip.
- Worcestershire sauce – For depth of flavor.
- Seasonings – While garlic and onion powders are standard in all pimento cheese dips, I like to add some dry mustard powder and sriracha as well, plus salt and pepper.
- For serving – Crackers and fresh veggie sticks are perfect for serving with this.
Tips for Success
For the best pimento cheese dip, here are a few tips.
- Let it chill overnight. While you can serve this dip immediately, I recommend making it a day in advance so that the flavors have time to meld and infuse through every bite.
- Let it rest at room temperature. Pimento cheese does harden when refrigerated so before serving, let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so to soften and become spreadable again.
- Shred the cheese fresh. For the best cheese dip, shred the cheese fresh off the block. This will give you optimal flavor.
- Make it spicy. Pimento peppers are not spicy at all so if you want to give this dip a little kick, add in a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
Pimento cheese can be served immediately after preparing or after chilling overnight. It’s typically served on platter with a variety of crackers and fresh veggie sticks.
But don’t stop there, there are plenty of ways to use this pimento cheese spread! It is also amazing used for grilled cheese sandwiches, as a spread for wraps, a filling for Jalapeno poppers, served alongside fried green tomatoes, or as a stuffing for baked chicken breasts or burgers.
How to Store
Pimento cheese spread will last for up to a week in the fridge when stored in an airtight container. Perfect for snacking all week long!
More Dip Recipes:
Pimento Cheese Dip
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes, softened to room temperature)
- 6 ounces jarred diced pimento peppers (chopped finely if in strips)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha
- salt , to taste
- few turns of freshly cracked black pepper
- crackers , for serving
- fresh veggie sticks , for serving
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl by either using a stand mixer (with the paddle attachment), hand held electric mixer, or mix by hand with a wooden spoon. Blend until the mixture is thoroughly combined, but still has some texture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary. (If you like your dip more spicy, feel free to add in a pinch of cayenne pepper.)
- You can serve it right away or cover tightly and chill for 1 hour (or overnight) to allow flavors to develop.Pimento cheese hardens as it chills; so if you do chill it, let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature to soften.
- Transfer the mixture to a smaller serving bowl and enjoy with crackers and/or veggie sticks.