With only a handful of ingredients, this Homemade Ranch Dip comes together in minutes. It has your favorite ranch flavor with none of the hidden ingredients or preservatives. Perfect for dipping fresh veggies, chips, and more.
An Easy Ranch Dip Recipe
We are huge fans of ranch in my house. In particular, my son loves to dump ranch dressing on everything he possibly can, which has become my secret weapon for getting him to love eating vegetables. Naked fresh veggies can be a boring snack…but dip them in some ranch and who can resist them?
I love my homemade ranch dressing for salads and the like but sometimes you need something a little more, well, dip-able. That’s where this Homemade Ranch Dip comes in. It has all the flavors of ranch dressing but it’s made with sour cream instead of buttermilk for a thicker, more dip-able version.
What You’ll Need
There’s just 3 main ingredients and a handful of seasonings in this homemade ranch dip. While small amounts of each seasoning are used, each one is important in creating that beloved ranch flavor.
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Sour cream – This is the main difference between ranch dip and ranch dressing. The sour cream helps create the thicker, dip-able consistency. (You can use Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream if you prefer, but I recommend using a full fat option.)
- Mayonnaise – Mayo is the base of the dip and provides a mild, slightly tangy flavor.
- Lemon juice – Use fresh. If you prefer your ranch extra tangy, add a splash more of lemon juice.
- Seasonings – This ranch dip is made with a combination of dill weed, dried parsley, dried chives, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper. (Adjust the seasonings to taste. If you like ranch with a little extra dill flavor, you can easily increase the dill in the recipe. The same goes for lemon, if you want some extra tang you can increase the amount of lemon used.)
This dip is so great for a quick afternoon snack. It’s also a go-to for parties and get-togethers. I make up a tray of fresh veggies with a bowl of this in the center and it’s always a hit. Since almost all veggies pair well with a ranch dip you can easily use what’s in season, making it an ideal snack for everything from summer picnics to tailgating to holiday parties. Here are a few of our favorites for dipping:
- Fresh veggies – Cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and more.
- Potatoes – Grilled potatoes, home fries, or fries taste great dipped in this.
- Chicken fingers – A kid favorite!
- Zucchini fries – My personal favorite!
- Potato chips – Back to the basics with plain potato chips. Pita chips are also yummy dipped in ranch.
- Crackers – Unflavored or flavored!
How to Make Ranch Dip
Making this homemade ranch dip recipe could not be easier. It comes together in just minutes. Simply combine all of the ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. That’s it!
Follow the steps below included in the printable recipe card. Make sure to refer back to the article for more information, variations, and serving suggestions.
How to Store & Make Ahead
While you can serve this ranch dip immediately, it’s best when made in advance – at least a few hours if not overnight, which gives the flavors a chance to set in and the taste will be even better. It will keep nicely in the refrigerator for up to a week if stored covered in an airtight container.
More Easy Dip Recipes:
Homemade Ranch Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with fresh vegetables, chips, and more!