Airy homemade whipped cream and fresh berry compote is mixed together for the easiest, most refreshing summer dessert. This No Bake Mixed Berry Fruit Fool is so simple and comes together in minutes, but is incredibly impressive and so delicious!
This Mixed Berry Fool just might be the easiest homemade dessert ever. But simple doesn’t mean boring – it’s airy, rich, delicious, and quite lovely!
What is a Fruit Fool?
A fruit fool is an English dessert (from the French ‘fouler’ meaning ‘to mash’), made by folding fresh mashed berries into sweet custard. Modern variations usually skip the custard and go a quicker route by using whipped cream instead, like I have. You can also add in some flavoring by way of extracts or booze.
In simplest terms, it’s really just berries and cream. And yet, it’s so much more. The contrast between fluffy whipped cream and syrupy fruit just makes your taste buds sing.
What I love about desserts like this, aside from their ease, is you can keep their presentation rustic or gussy them up.
Just serving this to your family on a weeknight and don’t mind double dipping? Keep all of it in the mixing bowl and hand everyone a spoon. Hosting a weekend brunch and want to impress your guests? Gently spoon portions into pretty stemmed glasses and now it looks fancy!
- I incorporated a trio of strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries for this berry fool recipe, but you can use just one berry or add in some raspberries and quadruple the yummy factor!
- Add in a splash of raspberry liqueur, orange liqueur, or rum, for a grown up version.
- Sprinkle some crushed up ladyfingers, meringue cookies, or Nilla wafer cookies over the top.
- Assemble the fool more like a parfait, by alternating the cream and fruit layers.
- Fresh berries are best for this recipe. Frozen berries will release liquid that you definitely don’t want seeping into the whipped cream.
- You’re after billowy whipped cream. Stop beating the whipped cream just before it reaches stiff peaks.
- Fold, don’t mix. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the mixture together.
- Don’t over-incorporate. You want to see beautiful colorful streaks of fruit within the cream.
Fruit Fool is the easiest, most refreshing, light and wonderful dessert. And almost effortless. Great for using up a bounty of summer fruit or when you need a quick last minute treat!
Other No Bake Parfait Recipes We Love!
I hope you love this delicious and simple recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Mixed Berry Fruit Fool
- 7 small fresh strawberries , hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream , chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- small strawberry slices , for garnish
- fresh mint leaves , for garnish
- In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the sugar. Smash with a fork until they are jam-like and mostly pureed.
- Add in the raspberries and blueberries and crush lightly with the fork.
- Stir in the lemon juice and salt. Taste and add 1-2 more tablespoons of sugar, if desired.
- Transfer bowl to the freezer and chill, stirring every 5 minutes until very cold, about 20 minutes total.
- Pour heavy cream into a cold medium bowl along with the powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer until firm peaks form
- Scoop the chilled fruit into the whipped cream and gently fold the mixture together with a rubber spatula until just incorporated, leaving some pretty streaks.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Pipe or spoon portions into parfait glasses; garnish with small sliced strawberries and a mint leaf.