These Mini Donut Muffins are donuts in bite size form, that taste like cinnamon sugar donuts. So basically the best muffins ever!
If I was into bumper stickers, I could have one that reads “My Dad is smarter than your Dad” or “My Dad is funnier than your Dad.” Or a double whammy, “My Dad is smarter and funnier than your Dad.”
Along side my first-rate mother, he gets some big time props for my excellent childhood, too.
He was the one who read us our bedtime stories.
He was the one who twirled us high into the air, spinning us round and round, as we squealed with joy.
He was the one that quizzed us on our state capitals to pass the time, waiting for the food to arrive.
He was the one my friends really came over to play video games with.
And he is the reason I have such an awesome appreciation for nature.
Oh, and I am certain I get my sweet tooth from him. If it’s smothered in frosting, made with almond paste, dipped in chocolate, mixed with candy, covered with whipped cream, or sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, chances are my Dad is going to enjoy it.
tips for the best mini donut muffins
- several of the ingredients need to be at room temperature before incorporating, so take note and plan accordingly!
- make sure you not only spray your mini muffin tin, but also dust it with flour. This will help them release effortlessly.
So, I know he’s going to like these Mini Donut Muffins – mini donuts disguised as muffins – brushed with butter, rolled in a sugar/cinnamon combo, and filled with jam. Oh hi. The only part he won’t like is the “mini.” But not to worry…I’ll have 24 of them for Father’s Day.
He’ll share, though. Because…well…my Dad? My Dad is the cat’s pajamas. Like no other.
other mini recipes we love!
Other Cinnamon-Sugar recipes we love!
Mini Donut Muffins
For the Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup whole milk , at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk , at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs , at room temperature
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Coating
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 24-cup mini muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and buttermilk.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. With the mixer set on low speed, beat in one fourth of the dry ingredients. Then beat in one third of the milk mixture. Continue to alternate until all ingredients are incorporated, finishing with dry ingredients. (Do not over mix. The batter will be heavy, it’s ok.)
- Fill the prepared muffin cups just to the rim with batter.
- Bake until lightly golden and firm to the touch, 15-20 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tin and transfer to plate.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a resealable plastic bag.
- Brush each muffin generously with melted butter. Then place a few muffins in the bag with the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Shake well to coat the muffins. Repeat.
- Serve and enjoy!
*this post contains affiliate links