Mini Doughnut Hot Buttered Cheerios are such a sweet treat that will remind you of your favorite fair food! Cereal pan “fried” in butter and vanilla, then tossed in a cinnamon-sugar mixture. Easy, portable, and great for snacking!
I just recently discovered these Mini Doughnut Hot Buttered Cheerios, but apparently they’ve been a very popular snack for decades. I’m so glad I found them, though, because they are fantastic!
This recipe gem is courtesy of Betty Crocker who says they’re a sweet sugar-cinnamon mix that tastes just like everyone’s favorite fair food – and I couldn’t agree more!
Hot Buttered Cheerios Ingredients
You only need five ingredients to make this sweet snack and chances are you already have them on hand.
- Cheerios cereal
- Vanilla extract
Is it any wonder why I love it so much, because….cinnamon-sugar! Truly the best flavor combination ever.
How To Make Mini Doughnut Hot Buttered Cheerios
These can be made in the microwave, oven, or on the stove. I think the stove is the best and easiest way and it literally takes only minutes. Here’s a brief rundown (scroll to the bottom for the detailed printable.)
- Melt butter in a pan; add in the vanilla.
- Stir in the Cheerios.
- Cook for a few minutes until well coated.
- Remove from the heat and toss to coat in cinnamon-sugar.
- Try not to eat all the servings at once! HA.
Either Honey Nut Cheerios™ cereal or Apple Cinnamon Cheerios™can replace the plain cereal for a different flavor twist, but I prefer the plain cereal best.
Hot Buttered O’s Storage
Leftovers will keep in a sealed container on the countertop for 3 days. They’re safe to eat after that, but will start to lose their crunch.
Nothing could ever replace stovetop popcorn as my favorite movie time snack, but these Mini Doughnut Fried Cheerios are definitely a close second. Also great for school lunchboxes, camping, parties, or the holidays.
Because of the cinnamon-sugar, they’re a little messy, so be sure to have napkins at the ready. Also be prepared to lick your fingers! Better make a double batch, because they go fast!
Mini Doughnut Hot Buttered Cheerios
- 4 cups plain Cheerios cereal
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add vanilla and stir to combine.
- Stir in the Cheerios, coating evenly in butter. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cereal is lightly toasted.
- Remove from heat and pour the cinnamon-sugar mixture over Cheerios; toss well to coat evenly.
- Allow to cool completely, serve, and enjoy!