These Mini Chocolate Zucchini Cakes are mildly sweet with great chocolate flavor and a hint of zucchini. Plus bite sized, so you can have a few and not feel guilty!
Hummingbirds. Keens for kids. Mary Lou Retton. The Mini Cooper and an iPod….Small, impressive things.
And my mom, at barely five feet, is adorable. See…
There’s a lot of wisdom, kindness, and sheer awesomeness packed into that tiny frame, lemme tell ya.
And I got to spend Mother’s Day with her. My sister hosted a brunch (with quite the spread) and all that was asked of me was to show up and supply the dessert. Which brings me back to small, impressive things…and these Mini Chocolate Zucchini Cakes.
Zucchini Cake Recipe
Bite-sized Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Mm hm. Small, but big on flavor. Chocolatey, moist, rich, dense. Take a few bites, or shove the entire thing into your mouth at once! Here’s what you’ll need:
(Scroll down to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Butter: I almost always use unsalted butter in my baking and then add salt, so I can control the amount. If all you have is salted butter, it’s ok. But then omit the salt called for.
- Granulated sugar: For sweetness. These are cakes, after all.
- Egg: To add moisture and bind everything together.
- Vanilla: For added flavor.
- Zucchini: Grated zucchini, unpeeled. If there’s a ton of excess moisture, drain it off.
- Sour cream: This makes the little cakes nice and moist.
- All-purpose flour: This is the base of the cakes.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder takes the place of some flour. Make sure you’re using natural unsweetened cocoa powder instead of dutch-process cocoa powder.
- Mini chocolate chips: For added chocolate flavor and to fill in any pockets, we add mini semi-sweet chocolate chips.
How to Store Zucchini Cake
These mini cakes can be stored in a an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Video
Other Zucchini Recipes
Mini Chocolate Zucchini Cakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter ,melted and cooled
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, salt, and egg. Mix in the vanilla, zucchini, and sour cream until incorporated. Sift the flower and cocoa powder into the bowl and stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Coat a 24-slot mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Fill each slot with 2 heaping tablespoons batter.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.