This Italian Chopped Salad is a light, yet hearty salad that tastes like your favorite Italian sub sandwich without the bread!
This Italian Chopped Salad is one of my all-time favorites – I make it often since I always have the ingredients on hand. So flavorful and healthy, and since the ingredients are all chopped, every bite has all the goodies!
Perfectly served on its own since it’s hearty and filling, but wonderful as a side dish, too. I often bring it to summer barbecues and potlucks. Everyone loves it!
Italian Chopped Salad Recipe
Chopped Italian Salad Ingredients:
- Pasta – Ditalini is the base of this salad and one of my favorite tiny noodles. If you can’t find it, macaroni is a good substitute.
- Lettuce – Romaine is fresh crisp, and a beautiful green. You could also use iceberg and/or spinach.
- Chickpeas – Canned for ease.
- Summer sausage – We love this meat in salads. It’s a little tangy and so delicious. If you need the salad to be vegetarian, simply omit it.
- Provolone – This cheese is mild and buttery, with a subtle nutty flavor. We love it. Mozzarella can be used instead, if you prefer.
- Cherry tomatoes – These sweet juicy gems balance out the crisp lettuce and pasta.
- Marinated artichoke hearts – Wonderfully tangy, citrus-y, and earthy, we love these in this salad.
- Pimento stuffed olives – These add a nice salty, zesty flavor. Olives not your thing? Leave them out.
- Green onions – For a subtle onion, peppery flavor.
- Dressing – We use our favorite homemade Italian Dressing, which is a simple vinaigrette made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, Parmesan cheese, honey, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and our Italian Seasoning blend. It’s light, bright, and super easy to whip up.
Italian Chopped Salad Video
Other Pasta Salad Recipes
Italian Chopped Salad
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 3 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 15 once (1 can) chickpeas ,drained
- 1 cup cubed summer sausage
- 1 cup cubed Provolone (or Mozzarella)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes ,halved
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts ,drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives ,halved
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
For The Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic ,minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked pasta, Romaine, chickpeas, sausage, cheese, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and green onions.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the the ingredients for the dressing, except the olive oil. Then slowly stream in the olive oil to emulsify. (Alternatively, you can place all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until completely combined and thickened.) Drizzle over all the salad ingredients and gently toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or chill for an hour and enjoy!