Homemade Ranch Dressing is so easy to make and so much better than anything store-bought. This from scratch recipe is the perfect flavor and consistency and takes minutes to whip up!
Use it for salad, chicken wings, a baked potato, and so many other things.
We are a ranch dressing loving family here! Especially my son, who will pretty much dunk anything in it, and also how I got him to love salad at a young age. Yes, it’s most commonly associated with salad, but we also drizzle it on BLTs and mix into our favorite Cashew Chicken Pasta Salad. So good!
Nothing wrong with bottled ranch, but homemade tastes way better, with no weird and unnecessary ingredients and it literally takes 5 minutes to make some. It’s creamy and tangy, perfectly flavored and begging for some veggie sticks!
Ranch Dressing Recipe
Ingredients needed to make this dressing:
*Be sure to see the printable recipe card below for measurements & directions!
- Sour cream
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dried parsley, dill weed, and chives
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Fine sea salt
- Finely cracked pepper
How to Make Ranch Dressing
If you have a bowl, measuring cups, a whisk, and 5 minutes, you can make this dressing.
- Add ingredients to a bowl
- Whisk to thoroughly combine
- Refrigerate until ready to use
You can leave everything in the bowl you used and cover it tightly, or transfer the dressing to a lidded jar.
- Consistency: if you find that the consistency is too thick, you can thin out the dressing a bit with a splash of additional buttermilk. Alternatively, if you’d prefer it thicker to use as ranch dip, add a little bit more mayo.
- Sour Cream: plain Greek yogurt can replace the sour cream, if you prefer, but use full-fat for best taste.
- Buttermilk: buttermilk will deliver the best taste for this dressing and I don’t recommend swapping it out with regular milk. If you don’t have any, it’s super easy to make, especially if you bought buttermilk powder for my Ranch Dressing Mix. You did, right?
- Chill: the flavor is best if the dressing is chilled for a couple hours before serving.
Storing Ranch Dressing
You can serve this dressing right away, but its flavor is best after chilling for a couple hours first.
Be sure to check the expiration dates on your dairy ingredients, but generally speaking, this dressing will keep for up to 1 week when stored properly in the refrigerator – either in an airtight container or jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Other Salad Dressing Recipes
I hope you love this delicious and easy recipe – be sure to give it a review below! Also don’t forget to follow Belly Full on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-3 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk until smooth. Then whisk in 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and the Worcestershire sauce. Taste, and add in the final teaspoon of lemon juice, if necessary.
- Add in all the spices and whisk until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- (If consistency is too thick, thin out dressing with a splash of additional buttermilk.)
- Pour into a jar with a fitted lid and chill in the refrigerator for at least a couple hours before serving for best flavor.
- Give it a quick stir before serving again. Enjoy!
Reader Questions and Reviews
I make this recipe once a week. I use it to dip veggies when I make a veggie tray and also on salads. It is a crowd pleaser always!
My current favorite!!
I doubled the recipe and put half in a jar for me to eat (I love ranch dressing), and I added bleu cheese to the other half to make bleu cheese dressing for my husband. He loves it! I’ll definitely be making this recipe again!
it was delicious! I am readying to make another pint tomorrow!!
Delicious! The best recipe for ranch dressing that I have tried!
The minute I saw this recipe in my email I had to make it…and it was fantastic! So much better than Hidden Valley. Will add this to my permanent binder, thank you!