This Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken is a super flavorful crock pot chicken dish that only takes 10 minutes of prep!
My friend Nicole hates to cook; it’s a complete chore to her. I think she’d rather pick up poop from her pet sitting business or scrub her bathroom floors than make dinner.
But I love Nicole.
So I’ve made it my mission in life to find delicious crock pot meals that she can easily throw together. Are you reading Nicole? I AM SO THERE FOR YOU.
Problem is, most crock pot meals are just. not. good. IMHO. Granted, they don’t usually reach this extreme of awful, but after much trial and error and many crock pot recipes gracing my table over the past several years, it’s my firm opinion that a lot of combined ingredients are really not meant to slow cook together over an 8-hour period of time.
But I keep trying. Because eventually I’m going to have some winners.
And guess what? I do. I made two recipes this past week that were fantastic. This Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken is one of them.
For starters, you don’t need to saute the chicken before transferring it to the slow cooker. (Which frees up 5 minutes that
you I can waste on Facebook and Pinterest. Score.)
The red pepper flakes and sesame seeds, along with chopped scallions that I added, balanced out some of the sweetness. I also opted not to combine the cooked chicken back with the sauce – there was a lot of sauce – instead, I decided to put the chicken on the rice and then pour some sauce on top, to taste.
This was so good, and not at all one dimensional like I was expecting.
Really excited about this. For Nicole. And me!
other slow cooker recipes we love
Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 scallions , diced
- cooked white rice , for serving
- Lightly season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper; transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker, but leave the sauce.
- Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into the slow cooker. Stir to combine with the sauce.
- Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Leave chicken pieces whole or shred into bite size pieces.
- Then in individual bowls, place chicken pieces over cooked rice and spoon some sauce on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions.
adapted from Six Sisters Stuff