Classic cabbage rolls are deconstructed into this unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup. All the same great flavors, but so much easier. Healthy and hearty, all-in-one dinner for busy weeknights!
All three of those recipes have the same general ingredients, but just composed differently. You can’t beat traditional baked cabbage rolls, but ugh…they’re so much work. When I have time, I actually enjoy the process and find making them to be therapeutic. But more times than not, I need something quicker, without forgoing all those fantastic components and flavors.
If you love traditional cabbage rolls, you will love this cabbage roll soup recipe! This is such a great all-in-one meal made up of meat, rice, vegetables, and a rich broth.
You start by browning some lean ground beef and sautéing onion and garlic in a large pot, then add in chopped cabbage, beef broth, tomato sauce, rice, and seasonings. Simmer for less than a half hour and voila, dinner is ready! So easy.
Recipe Variations for Cabbage Roll Soup
- Ground turkey can be substituted for the ground beef.
- Chicken broth can be used instead of the beef broth, but the soup will not be as bold or flavorful.
- You can replace the white rice with brown rice, but that will require an additional 15-20 minutes of simmering, which might over-cook the cabbage.
Sometimes I serve this soup with Irish Soda Bread or Garlic Bread for my carb-loving family, which are both great to mop up the last dribbles at the bottom of the bowl. But it really doesn’t need anything else – it’s quite substantial all on its own!
Can this be made in the crock pot?
Yep! Brown your meat, onions, and garlic as instructed, then transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker along with all the other ingredients, mix and cover. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
How To Store Cabbage Roll Soup
Once completely cooled to room temperature, this soup can last in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze this soup for up to 2 months in a tightly sealed container or individual freezer-safe bags.
Other Soup Recipes We Love!
Other Cabbage Recipes To Try!
How To Make this Cabbage Roll Soup Recipe
Cabbage Roll Soup
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small sweet onion , finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 32 ounces low-sodium beef broth
- 24 ounces (3, 8 ounce cans) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- fresh chopped parsley , for serving
- sour cream , for serving
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic; cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for about 4-5 minutes until beef is browned and cooked through, and the onions are soft and translucent. Drain off fat, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the cabbage and cook for about 2 minutes to soften slightly.
- Add in the beef broth, tomato sauce, rice, bay leaf, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook on low for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with a little fresh chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream, if desired and serve!
- This can also be made in a 6-quart crock pot. Brown your meat, onions, and garlic as instructed, then transfer to the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients, mix and cover. Cook on low for about 6-7 hours or 3-4 hours on high, checking toward the end to make sure the cabbage isn't mushy.
- To store: once completely cooled to room temperature, this soup can last in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze this soup for up to 2 months in a tightly sealed container or individual freezer-safe bags.