This fast and easy one-pan Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet dish is filling, full of flavor, and a perfect healthy weeknight dinner!
This one-pan skillet is a standard in our house, getting made at least a few times a month. It’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner. And also great for Saint Patrick’s Day. My husband isn’t a fan of cabbage, but he sure likes it in this dish. Probably because it soaks up a lot of the rendered fat from the pork. Delicious!
Kielbasa and Cabbage – Why We Love It
- Quick and Easy: This dish is ready in about 25 minutes start to finish.
- Really great flavors: The zing of mustard and vinegar are balanced with the sweetness of onion and a pinch of sugar, with the garlic coming in to round it out.
- Perfect for most diets: It’s gluten free, dairy free, and low carb!
Kielbasa and Cabbage Recipe
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
(Scroll below to the printable recipe card for details and measurements.)
- Kielbasa: Kielbasa is a a lifesaver ingredient, IMHO. Unlike fresh sausages, it’s already smoked/cooked and it’s so flavorful.
- Cabbage: Green cabbage is our preference for this dish.
- Onion and Garlic: For wonderful aromatics and flavor.
- Rice wine vinegar: This adds a nice tangy component. Apple cider vinegar can be substituted.
- Mustard: Either dijon or brown grainy mustard.
- Sugar: Just a little to help balance out the acidity of the vinegar and tangy mustard. You can leave it out, if you prefer.
- Salt and Pepper: To heighten the other flavors and bring everything together.
- Olive oil: For sautéing.
- Use a different cabbage: This recipe calls for green cabbage, but you could also use red, savoy, or napa cabbage.
- Add in roasted potatoes or egg noodles: If you’re not adhering to a low-carb diet, toss in some roasted potatoes or cooked egg noodles at the end.
- Make it a little spicy: Try using a hot mustard or swap out the kielbasa for Andouille sausage to add heat to this dish.
How to Make Kielbasa and Cabbage
This dish is practically effortless and is the perfect weeknight meal. To make this Kielbasa Cabbage Skillet recipe, watch the video below and follow the steps included in the printable recipe card. Make sure to refer back to the article for more information and variations.
More Kielbasa Recipes:
- Kielbasa Vegetable Foil Packets
- Easy Jambalaya (One Pot)
- Jambalaya Foil Packets
- Rice and Beans
- Lentil Soup (crock pot)
Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds fully cooked polska kielbasa , cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 small head cabbage , core removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion , cut into large pieces
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon or brown grainy mustard
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high and add kielbasa. Cook, without stirring for 1 minute. Then stir occasionally for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- In the same pan with some of the rendered kielbasa fat, add the cabbage, onion, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 minutes or more (depending how tender you like the vegetable), stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the vinegar and mustard; add the kielbasa back to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes to heat through. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- NOTE: If you're not on a low carb diet, consider adding in some roasted potatoes or cooked egg noodles at the end – delish! The sugar is optional in this recipe, as noted, but it does give great balance to the salty kielbasa and tangy vinegar and mustard.